The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Restoring files copied via iTunes Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I went through a little pain but found a fix, so I thought I'd share.

After encountering a bug (I've emailed the appropriate address), I decided to be clever and see if it was a configuration issue by
  1. Copying all the files out of the off my iPad using the 'File Sharing' section of the 'Apps' tab in iTunes.
  2. Deleting Omnigraffle for iPad.
  3. Reinstalling it.
  4. Copying the the files back.

This is where I hit the wall, so to speak: I could not figure out how to copy the folders back on. After an hour of fruitless searching, I found that the following works:

The folders that were copied off have a name like 'My Diagram.graffle'. Inside these folders are 'data.plist' files. If you rename the data.plist file to have a .graffle extension (e.g., 'foo.graffle'), it can be copied to the iPad and will work on there. (Note: if you have problems, view the info for the file (cmd+i) and make sure that, in the 'Name & Extension' section, 'Hide extension' is not checked and that the name ends in '.graffle', not '.graffle.plist')

One thing that I have noticed is that the file is not transformed to match its previous incarnation. (E.g., the 'foo.graffle' file does not become a 'foo.graffle' directory containing 'data.plist'.) Changes will be saved to this format and that this format will be used if the document is duplicated inside of the Omnigraffle for iPad app.

I do not know what, if any ill effects this will have. You are on your own. (In my case, I'm willing to risk running into problems later if I don't lose my data now.)