The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Why aren't events automatically sorted by date? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Why aren't events automatically sorted by date? Why is it that, I have a project just for appointments, and every time I add a new one it goes to the end? Why do I have to manually sort it? Why do I have to open up my app really quick to see if I am available at a particular date, and have to double check in the bottom and resort everything to have a clear picture of what I really have to expect this upcoming week/month? This is the default behavior of almost every program out there, but not Omnifocus.

I too think this is a weird thing to overlook. In what situation would you NOT want things sorted by date? It has bugged me for a long time. Maybe we should both submit bug reports?

One reason (mage not the only one) is that the GTD method on which OF was built doesn't work on dates, unless a task must be finished by a specific date or can't start before a specific date. GTD broadly says "decide what to do by looking at available tasks and doing the one(s) that best fit the current situation (where you are, how much time you have, what facilities are available etc)". The way you do that is by frequent review.

GTD also suggests separating appointments from actions - appointments go into a calendar, actions remain in your task manager.

So that's the explanation for why OF doesn't default to showing your tasks in date order. Clearly, OF has moved away from pure GTD (and many users, like me, don't follow GTD).

None of the above should stop you submitting the change request - just some explanation for something that seem sods at first look