The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to use "Due" efficiently, not as a reminder? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
@whpalmer4
1. How are you able to group your tasks by DUE and by START? I can do it only manually on my Mac. Print screen would be a blessing too in this case.

2. Do you have a folder and you have your smaller tasks/actions as projects or you contain them in a Single-Action List?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainInside View Post
Very interesting concept. Are you able to make a screen shoot, even with "blurred" actions, just to give me an idea?
Yes, I am. Next question? :-)

Sorry, couldn't resist, my beloved high school calculus teacher eons ago loved to do that to the hapless students who really meant to ask if he would do the requested problem. For full effect, you really had to be there, but imagine an elderly guy with a tweed jacket covered with chalk dust slowly shuffling back to his desk, laboriously thumbing through the text, asking a few times for the page and problem number, scratching his head as he pondered the problem, then finally looking up with a wry smile and saying, "yes...yes, I think I can" before sitting down. The rest of the class would quietly snicker while waiting for the self-correction from the student, and the teacher's equally predictable "why didn't you say so?"

Gone, but not forgotten, Mr. B....

Quote:
I cannot really imagine how you split the screen? Are these 2 separate windows?

2nd question - How are you able to group your tasks by DUE and by START? I can do it only manually on my Mac. Print screen would be a blessing too in this case.

Quote:
2. Do you have a folder and you have your smaller tasks/actions as projects or you contain them in a Single-Action List?
Most things are in projects (or single-action lists for things that are continuing activities with no real end point), but I have Miscellaneous single-action lists in the various folders to hold the odd bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Most things are in projects (or single-action lists for things that are continuing activities with no real end point), but I have Miscellaneous single-action lists in the various folders to hold the odd bits.
Your teacher sounds exactly like my chemistry teacher ;-)

You wrote that most of your things are projects.
I wonder how people do manage that, because since you have your area of focus as a Folder, and in that Folder you have Projects, it takes a lot of space on the left side of OF, when you open project. It is hard to go easily to another Folder. How I used to do things, that I had only bigger projects as an actual projects and my areas of focus were a single list tasks. If I had to do sequential I simply do it. You can do sequential "Action" in a single list bucket, if that Action has some "babies."

Plus it is easier because in project you have to type the "Completed" date, and in Single-action list you just click.

1. Why do you prefer your approach? Where are advantages of your approach under mine?

2. If you use projects, why you don't have the project icon there? I am confused...
Can you make a screen shot of your perspective(s) too?
I will kiss your feet for that.

Thanks a lot again.
Brain

Last edited by BrainInside; 2012-10-25 at 10:37 AM..

@whpalmer4

Also if you could explain what is that?

Quote:
@whpalmer4

Also if you could explain what is that?
Those are perspectives and scripts added to the toolbar with View->Customize Toolbar...

Quote:
You wrote that most of your things are projects.
I wonder how people do manage that, because since you have your area of focus as a Folder, and in that Folder you have Projects, it takes a lot of space on the left side of OF, when you open project. It is hard to go easily to another Folder. How I used to do things, that I had only bigger projects as an actual projects and my areas of focus were a single list tasks. If I had to do sequential I simply do it. You can do sequential "Action" in a single list bucket, if that Action has some "babies."
It only takes up as much space as you give it. You want a narrow sidebar, make a narrow sidebar. I use project view for adding to projects, usually not for executing the actions in the projects, so most of my time is spent in context view where the project folder structure is irrelevant.
Quote:
Plus it is easier because in project you have to type the "Completed" date, and in Single-action list you just click.
Huh? When do you have to type in the completion date? I click to complete an action, and to complete a project I select the project and press the space bar, or control-click and use the popup menu.
Quote:
1. Why do you prefer your approach? Where are advantages of your approach under mine?
Not really sure what your approach is, so it is difficult to compare. It's only important that my approach works for me; if seeing what I do leads you to a more effective approach for you (whatever that might be), great.
Quote:
2. If you use projects, why you don't have the project icon there? I am confused...
This is a context mode view. The general notion is that you use the project/planning view to structure your projects, but the context view is more useful for selecting which action (from all of your projects) to do next.
Quote:
Can you make a screen shot of your perspective(s) too?
The view bar shows most of the relevant settings in the screen shot. I've got the restore boxes for Focus, Layout, Expansion, and Selection checked on both perspectives so that I don't have to fiddle around to get the window back to my preferred setup.