The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

On how to get existing OmniGraffle files/stencils onto the iPad Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I did some testing on the troublesome Cisco stencils listed in the post above, and it appears that the ones that aren't working except the Cisco Routers stencil are using placed EPS images, which we're obviously not supporting yet.

Another quick test with a raw EPS shows that Mail on the iPad can't open it as an attachment, so I'm unsure if the iPhone OS handles that image format as of yet.

I've filed a bug against this in our tracking database in any case, thanks very much for bringing it to our attention.

Sorry that I can't be of more immediate help with this issue, it would take quite a bit of doing to get those EPS images converted to PDF or some other format that the iPad can handle.

Any chance you could elaborate on the comment about having the images in a .PDF format that the iPad can support?

Not sure I get the relation between pdf and omnigraffle. I have a couple of PDFs that have a bunch of these images that I've used in visio. You have me wondering if there is a way for me to use those PDFs as stencils in omnigraffle?

Thanks for your time.

Well, the EPS and PDF formats are very similar, however Apple has in past years been deprecating use of the EPS format, favoring PDF instead as it's more modern and more robust.

We've already found that the iPhone OS handles viewing and displaying PDFs readily, however this is the first that we've run into files with placed EPS images, hence the bug filed against this issue.

It's trivially easy to convert an EPS into a PDF (or other image formats) using Preview.app on the desktop, however there would be an investment of time spent getting at the individual images in the stencils as many of them are flat files and so converting the stencils to a file package, getting at the contents of the package, then converting all of the images to a format that OmniGraffle for iPad can actually display would be significantly labor intensive.

There may be a chance that we can either get OmniGraffle for iPad to display EPS images in a future release, or possibly update the desktop version of OmniGraffle to automatically convert to PDF on a special export for use with the iPad, that sort of thing.

Joel, I really appreciate all the time and support you are offering, makes me feel good about my purchase knowing there is this sort of support.

I hate to bug you more about this but I am still not clear on something.

You mentioned again about having omnigraffle export to .pdf for the ipad because the ipad supports pdf files. However I don't understand how you would use a .pdf file within omnigraffle on the ipad?

The way you describe this it sounds like if I have a .pdf file that contains a bunch of objects that I would want to use as stencils I could? However I can't believe it would be that easy. Almost sounds like I could rename a .pdf to .gstencil and that would be enough.

When I'm referring to PDFs (and EPS) in this case, it's to the individual images in the .gstencil files themselves -- They are placed as images within the OmniGraffle file itself, which wraps around those images as well as any other Graffle shapes or text, etc. in the document.

When you save one of these stencils out to a file that's a file package, you can right-click on the file in the Finder and see the contents of the package, and then see that there's a list of EPS files within the document wrapper.

EPS images don't render on the iPhone OS, however PDFs will, so that's the reason why I mentioned it. Given the number of images in each stencil, converting each individual EPS to PDF using Preview, and subsequently re-creating the stencil or modifying the plist inside the file package to reference .pdf files instead of .eps would wind up being a laborious process.

So, there's no way to export the entire stencil to PDF and change the file extension as you mention, I'm sorry to have introduced any confusion leading to that idea.

Hey pktloss,

Like yourself, I primarily need Omnigraffle for network diagramming. I took Joel's information and found that making these conversions, on a small scale, is fairly trivial. Especially if, like me, you need this yesterday and can't wait for an update. Here's what I did:

1) Take the set of Cisco icons and condense it to a set of "Cisco Favorites", being those icons that you actually use (I found I don't touch 85% of what is offered). Create a new stencil in Omnigraffle of only those you need and save it as a package via the instructions earlier in the thread.

2) Save that package to your desktop. Right-click on the package and click "Show Package Contents" - this will open the package just like a file folder.

3) Notice all of the EPS files - double-click the first one to open in Preview. Then, just click File->Save As and re-save it as a PDF with the extension .pdf. Do this for the rest of the EPS files.

4) Make sure all of those PDFs are listed in the Finder window for your package, then delete all of the EPS files that are left over.

5) Double-click the data.plist file to open it. Scroll down to the "ImageList" row and expand that. You'll notice many of the items have the extension .eps - change all of those extensions to .pdf, then close and save the file.

6) Re-open that stencil in Omnigraffle and change it back to a "Flat File" as described earlier in the thread.

7) Copy that new stencil to your iPad and you should have a properly functioning Cisco stencil...

Hope that helps!

Any chance someone could post some properly formatted cisco stencils for us PC/Ipad users?

I have had noluck at all with the .zip ones off graffletopia

Anyone have the iPhone stencils as a flat file like whpalmer5 did with the iPad ones? I've been trying to get the "Ultimate iPhone Stencil" onto my iPad but the zip won't work and the folder won't transfer through iTunes

Conversion from EPS (or EMF) is also possible within OmniGraffle. Just "Copy as PDF" and paste back into the stencil document, and there you have stencils as PDF embedded.

The only challenge I had is that some were Pantone 3015 CMYK, and some Pantone 3015 RGB, which I had to correct with Illustrator.

I will convert some more stencils, and put them on Graffletopia, if time allows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornfinger View Post
Any chance someone could post some properly formatted cisco stencils for us PC/Ipad users?

I have had noluck at all with the .zip ones off graffletopia
Cisco stencils have been converted and posted. Get 'em over here.