The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OF For Mac Holds My Entire Life: How To Go Back & Reflect on my Past? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi guys,

I'm currently in China for these next few weeks after already being here for over a month.

My working position here hit a bit of a descrepancy a few days ago when a few coordinators decided to dock my pay, considering I began work 3 days after the start of the working month. It seems that under this current position, we're paid a monthly salary based on having worked a full working month. The "working month" begins on the 5th of every month. I was docked a 5th of my paycheck considering the people running this program state I began working the 8th of March, rather than the 5th.

Now, I could've sworn I began working here in China around the 5th or 6th, considering I landed in Beijing on the 3rd of March, interviewed on the 4th and began working almost immediately.

This is where I believe OF on my Mac could come in handy. Like you, I use OmniFocus to document everything...whether its a project or even a simple thought turned into an inbox item. Surely OF would hold some sort of clue as to when I began working.

This isn't the first time this has happened. Before, back in the states, whether it be a friend or colleague ask me when what day I began a certain project or when I completed it...I'd love to revert back to my past version of OF and be able to provide an answer. (Whether it be information from a month ago, a week, day or even a year ago).

Any easy advice here? I'd really appreciate it.

By the way, as to my current situation I described above, I've been filming video everyday of my travels in China and it just so happens I filmed my first day of work (the fast paced taxi ride and meeting new co-workers). The film had a stamp date of March 6th, one day after the month began and not three meaning I shouldn't really get docked any or much pay. Luckily I was filming and it recorded the time and date...but OmniFocus for me is a tool I use almost every hour of everyday (Unless of course i'm tackling a project.)

Last edited by HappyDude; 2011-04-13 at 07:21 AM..

Bring up the Completed perspective, turn on the Completion Date column with View->Columns->Completion Date, doesn't that help? Or in project view, View->Availability Filter->Any Status should show you completed actions along with remaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Bring up the Completed perspective, turn on the Completion Date column with View->Columns->Completion Date, doesn't that help? Or in project view, View->Availability Filter->Any Status should show you completed actions along with remaining.
The Completed perspective helps out immensely, however I normally Move my old data to archive, leaving me with only the information since my last archive which is usually once every 2 weeks (to keep a fast sync going between all my devices).

Any recommendations concerning this situation?

(Much appreciated by the way)

Sorry, didn't realize you were an aggressive archiver. But you do have your archive handy, right? File->Open Archive ought to get you a new window with your archive contents, and you can rummage around much like you're in the regular database (though you won't be able to see a combined view showing actions you completed that are in the archive together with actions you have yet to do). Is there anything else I'm missing here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Sorry, didn't realize you were an aggressive archiver. But you do have your archive handy, right? File->Open Archive ought to get you a new window with your archive contents, and you can rummage around much like you're in the regular database (though you won't be able to see a combined view showing actions you completed that are in the archive together with actions you have yet to do). Is there anything else I'm missing here?
So File>Archive can successfully open a previous past OmniFocus of mine, while at the same time having an original OF window open containing all my current projects and actions? Does this have any bearings on my OF system, such as OF thinking I may want to revert to a backup archive from 2 weeks ago?

I simply don't wanna open an archive file and my current OF be lost for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude View Post
So File>Archive can successfully open a previous past OmniFocus of mine, while at the same time having an original OF window open containing all my current projects and actions? Does this have any bearings on my OF system, such as OF thinking I may want to revert to a backup archive from 2 weeks ago?

I simply don't wanna open an archive file and my current OF be lost for good.
Yes you can view the Archive file at the same time your OF database is open. It won't affect it in any way. You can even move stuff manually back from the archive to your "live" database if you want. Try it; it's safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude View Post
Does this have any bearings on my OF system, such as OF thinking I may want to revert to a backup archive from 2 weeks ago?
"Open Archive" isn't going to alter your data; maybe "Revert to database backup..." got triggered accidentally?

Ahh, so clear to me now. Thank you so much. This is going to make me all the more happier!