The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Two out sync databases - what to do? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey guys,
Hope you can help me I need urgent help.

I sync across 2 macs (macbook + iMac) and an iPhone. I noticed today that my iMac hasn't been syncing to the database for a while. For some reason the sync settings seemed to have been reset.

When I reconfigure the sync settings properly, it asks me of course to either replace the actual iMac database by the synced one or replace the server sync with the iMac database.

Would there be a way to blend the two, perhaps even pointing me towards conflicts?

If not, what are my options?
1. Is there a way to list all recently changed or added items? I tried to sort by date changed or added but it doesn't do anything. the tasks remain in the same order.
2. Or would there be a way for me to review easily what's been changed or added recently in the database in other ways?
3. If my last resort would be to manually compare to the databases, how would I export some projects or tasks to the other? I can export a single project but I can't import it in OF after...

So even though I can end up finding what I need to migrate, how do I even do this migration?

Gabriel

Sorry for the trouble here! Unfortunately, OmniFocus does not yet have the ability to merge two different databases. Let's try the following:

If you go ahead and pick the Sync option in that dialog, that will overwrite the iMac's database with the one on the server. However, the iMac's database is backed up before this happens.

If you open your Backups folder in Documents/OmniFocus Backups (or Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/Backups if you're running the Mac App Store version), you should see a backup file called "OmniFocus prior to resynchronization". Double-click that file to open it in OmniFocus, go into Context mode and open the View Bar, then set the grouping and sorting filters to "Added". This will give you a list of your actions sorted by when they were added (in order of most recent to oldest). You can use the same filters on your main database to compare the two, then copy and paste any data that may be missing from your main database. Then, run a sync with your server, and you should be all set.

We'd like to have the ability to merge databases in the future. If you're still having trouble, don't hesitate to email us or call 800.315.6664. Thanks!

Thanks for your reply.
This seems like a workable solution. I can now compare both databases which I hadn't found a way to do before.

•*If I sort by "changed" instead of "added" will I see both added and changed items? Is this right?

•*If I double-click on the backup database, it will import all of the projects so there will be lots of duplicates right? Could I easily only import a few projects? I foresee the problem where I won't know which copy of the project is the updated one since they'll have the same name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by analoggab View Post
Thanks for your reply.
This seems like a workable solution. I can now compare both databases which I hadn't found a way to do before.

•*If I sort by "changed" instead of "added" will I see both added and changed items? Is this right?

•*If I double-click on the backup database, it will import all of the projects so there will be lots of duplicates right? Could I easily only import a few projects? I foresee the problem where I won't know which copy of the project is the updated one since they'll have the same name.
You could group by Added and sort by Changed- you'll see categories like "Added Today/Yesterday/etc." and items sorted by their changed date within those categories The timestamps for the added and change dates are in the Inspectors window.

Opening the backup doesn't import any data into your main database- it simply opens the file separately. You can then manually copy/paste data into your main database.

Thanks for your help jbrown
It ended up being a much less arduous problem to solve than I thought.

All is good now...