The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iDisk/MobileMe/.Mac Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Not synching automatically Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
After not using OF for a long time, I'm returning (mainly due to Things OTA taking forever).

I'm basically starting fresh (using MobileMe), so deleted everything on OF and OF for iPhone, including deleting databases, deleting old iPhone client in OF, even deleting file on iDisk.

Reset sync up. It syncs fine IF I do it manually (either on Mac or iPhone). However, it is not automatically syncing. I'm waiting 5 minutes after making a change on either Mac or iPhone, nothing happens. As I understand it, sync should take place in 1 minute after making change.

What am I missing?-- Thanks

How do you know it isn't syncing? The most reliable way to check on sync activity is to use the Show Clients button in the Sync preferences in OmniFocus on the Mac. That will give you the date and time each of the registered sync clients last synced.

I'm suspicious that you are making a change on the Mac, waiting a few minutes, and then expecting to see it on the iPhone (or vice versa). It doesn't usually work that way, except by coincidence, or if you are using the Bonjour sync. For the data to go from one client to another, the client where the change was made has to do a sync (pushing the change to the central database), and then the other client also has to do a sync (retrieving the change). The second client has no way of knowing that the first client has made a change, so it will only notice the change when it does its own next sync, either after a change is made locally or an hour after the last sync.

I think what you'll see when you consult the client display is that the client on which you made the change does sync after 1 minute (assuming it is connected to the network and continues to run the OmniFocus application and you haven't disabled Auto-sync in the case of the iPhone app), and if you tap the sync button on the other client, the change will promptly appear.

Thanks much- you are exactly correct. Since it goes "through" MobileMe, I had expected it would sync like calendar/contacts (ie, both send by one client and receive by all other clients completed within 2-3 minutes).

One other question... when entering a new task on iPhone, can I immediately close OF on iPhone and assume it will sync, or do I need to leave OF showing on iPhone for a minute? I'd hope it's OS4 aware and could complete sync in background as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdadoc View Post
Thanks much- you are exactly correct. Since it goes "through" MobileMe, I had expected it would sync like calendar/contacts (ie, both send by one client and receive by all other clients completed within 2-3 minutes).
This is a common misconception. The only thing MobileMe is providing here is WebDAV service and name confusion :) The OmniFocus MobileMe sync and the MobileMe disk sync and the MobileMe calendars/contacts/etc. sync all have nothing to do with each other.

Quote:

One other question... when entering a new task on iPhone, can I immediately close OF on iPhone and assume it will sync, or do I need to leave OF showing on iPhone for a minute? I'd hope it's OS4 aware and could complete sync in background as needed.
Unfortunately, the only way to be sure it has synced is to tap the sync button and wait for the little watch to stop spinning. Omni has not been able to get background syncing of the sort you describe to work yet. There are some frequently lengthy operations which it can complete in the background, but this one requires network access and that seems to be the sticking point.

ok- thanks for the quick replies... still seems to be much better right now than Things as far as sync goes....