The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Script: custom OmniFocus action lists on the desktop, using Geektool Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Have tried this several times; when I run the .applescript file, I get a pop up window saying this:

Syntax Error
Can’t get application id
"com.omnigroup.OmniFocus".

Running OSX 10.7.2, OmniFocus version 1.9.4 (v77.86) on a 13" MacBook Pro.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew, are you running the Mac App Store version of OmniFocus, by any chance?

I've made an edit to the .applescript file in the .zip, which should, I think, enable the App Store variant of OmniFocus to run it.

You will need to save the applescript file as a compiled (.scpt) script.

--

I love the script, but being a complete amateur scripter without any real working knowledge of SQL, I haven't been able to adjust the script to do the following things:

First and most important: I use the DueNow and DueSoon scripts, and I'd love to see the number of days till the action is due. Is there a way to have the 'StrList' return something that looks like this: 'Action: tomorrow' or day after tomorrow, 3 days from now, etc. Basically the same date format that '%RD' returns with iCalBuddy tasks.

Second and not very important: Is there an easy way to reduce the amount of space between the bullet point and the returned task? I don't understand the added perl functions posted earlier well enough to figure it out - but my guess is it's somewhere in there.

Thanks for your time. It's a great script, I just need those dates or it isn't as useful to me as iCalBuddy at the moment. And I don't trust iCal enough to switch everything over there.

iCalBuddy is a really solid and well-crafted piece of work - this is just a light sketch made from horse-back. (abbrevn: hack :-)

You could probably, subject to the MIT licensing, which I haven't checked, incorporate the iCB language code into this Geektool script, but doing that is unlikely to rise to the top of my own agenda :-)

On the bullet gap - you can experiment with editing the eighth property near the start of the source code:
property pPrefix : (ASCII character 165) & tab
(replacing tab with " " for example)

--

That's okay. I hoped perhaps it was a quick bit of code that could be copied and pasted in, but I know enough coding to know there's not many easy fixes.

It's a great script by the way and I love using it. Thanks for the editing tip as well. :-)

Thanks RobTrew, this is a fantastic script! Much better than the clunky one I was trying to use.

I have one question though, (as I am an applescript newbie): can anyone tell me please how I might update the script to add in a 'show available actions' list rather than simply 'next actions' which doesn't include actions in my miscellaneous box etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusule View Post
... how I might update the script to add in a 'show available actions' list rather than simply 'next actions' which doesn't include actions in my miscellaneous box etc.
I'll have a look at that. 'Availability' has quite a complex definition in OmniFocus, so it may get messy :-)

(In English terms it's something like:
Tasks which are neither waiting their turn in a sequential project, nor already completed, nor deferred by a future start date (either of their own or inherited from a project or Single Action list), nor out of action because their project or context is on hold or dropped.
and in Applescript, roughly:
(blocked is false) and (completed is false) and ((start date is missing value) or (start date < now)) and ((its containing project is missing value) or (status of its containing project is active) and ((start date of its containing project < now) or (start date of its containing project is missing value))) and ((its context is missing value) or ((allows next action of its context is true) and (hidden of its context is false)))
So the trick would be to draft and debug something equivalent in SQL ... )

--

The Omnifocus Applescript Dictionary has an available task element and an available task class - neither of those are appropriate to make it easier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusule View Post
The Omnifocus Applescript Dictionary has an available task element and an available task class - neither of those are appropriate to make it easier?
Available tasks are properties of Contexts, so useful if you are listing tasks under context headings in Applescript.

The Geektool script, however, doesn't use Applescript to filter tasks, as that route would be slow, require OmniFocus to be running, and interfere with the GUI responsiveness of the app itself.

Instead, it queries the OF cache, using SQL. The SQL data model doesn't as it happens, offer us a short cut to fully available tasks.

A useful simplification might be to query for tasks where blocked=0 and dateCompleted is null and effectiveContainingProjectInfoActive=1