The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OO iPad and dropbox Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I certainly understand the frustration here, and I apologize that adding sync support to our apps has taken so long!

As soon as iCloud was announced, we immediately saw how beneficial its document syncing would be for OmniOutliner, and we quickly announced that we would be offering support for it as soon as possible. Unfortunately, our "as soon as possible" implementation is taking much longer than expected, and we don't have any way of knowing whether the final pieces of the puzzle will fall into place tomorrow or next year.

Rather than waiting indefinitely for our iCloud support to be finished, we've decided to roll out some of the related changes that we worked on at the same time: a bunch of behind-the-scenes work to use the new iOS 5 document architecture (part of getting ready for iCloud), and a new document browser which scales much better to large numbers of files—important when you're syncing lots of documents automatically (rather than just working with a few that are currently active). You'll see those updates later this month.

We're also exploring implementing our own document sync solution on top of standard WebDAV servers (including our Omni Sync Server), much like what we've done for OmniFocus. This effort is happening in parallel with the ongoing work on iCloud support, and is not meant to replace it: we ultimately plan to support both, rolling out each as soon it's ready. (We hope the final pieces of our iCloud implementation will fall into place tomorrow and we'll be able to ship it—but even if that does happen, we think WebDAV syncing will be a useful alternative for customers who aren't able to use iCloud for whatever reason.)

I'm really sorry everyone. I felt like a real smarty after I wrote my post, and only now do I realize I was mistaken. The Dropbox method (and the Goodreader sync) work like I describe for OPML files, not OO3 files.

I have a markdown-centric workflow, so I'm always shuffling between OPML and Markdown. It was late at night and I just assumed what I saw applied to the problem described by Dan Baril.

Sorry once more for the confusion. I will be a little more careful from now on.

Eh, the directions were perfect, but for that one little detail ;)

I did go and reinstall the shipping version of OO and check for a new version of Dropbox, just to make sure it wasn't my info that was incorrect before responding...I would have been quite happy to discover I was wrong about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
we don't have any way of knowing whether the final pieces of the puzzle will fall into place tomorrow or next year.
Just to clarify: those remaining pieces of the iCloud puzzle Ken's referring to here are not pieces that we can write or control on our end.

We're working with Apple on this and we have confidence that the issue will be resolved, but we don't know when. That's why we can't commit to any specific timeframe.

It's also worth noting that the iWork applications don't fully support document syncing via iCloud yet, either. The iOS versions will store their documents in iCloud, but the Mac apps can't access or work with them there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
It's also worth noting that the iWork applications don't fully support document syncing via iCloud yet, either. The iOS versions will store their documents in iCloud, but the Mac apps can't access or work with them there.
It seems like everyone really wants to have real sync between iOS and Macs for all their productivity apps, but it sure is taking a long time to get here. Looks like we will all just have to be patient for a bit longer. As far as syncing OmniOutliner goes, it is down to OPML until this gets sorted out. Can anyone tell me I am wrong here (I hope).

Has anyone tried DropDAV to integrate OO and Dropbox? It's an extra $5/month, but it does add the standard.

I had no idea what DropDav was until I read your question and did a Google search. Now I'm wondering the same thing! If it works as expected, then $5 per month is a small price to pay until an official Omni sync solution appears.

Really looking forward to the new document browser. "Later this month" can't come soon enough!

Thanks for all the hard work. I too hope that iCloud works better than it has so far but alas, it's still a mostly platform dependent and closed system and for any real cross platform work useless. WebDAV is hackish. Hopefully there will be a solution from Omni for this very expensive app that just works for everyone (like dropbox)

Last edited by HappyCatMachine; 2012-02-24 at 04:29 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Eh, the directions were perfect, but for that one little detail ;)
BTW, you can accomplish this with AirSharing (send from OO and OG to AirSharing to transfer to Dropbox, and vice versa).
The only "hitch" is that, while the OG files are seen by AirSharing with no problem, the OO ones are seen as folders. But if you zip them before sending them to OO, everything seems to work.
I know it is clumsy, but I am currently using this setup to work with my OO and OG files on Dropbox.

Last edited by vegaz; 2012-08-04 at 11:42 AM..