The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omnifocus vs Toodledo? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am a college student, and I am trying to figure out the best system for me. I'm also a father, homeowner, and employee. I need something for my busy life.

I have been using Things for quite some time, and have been happy with it, until recently when I realized syncing is a huge disappointment.

In my search for what will work best, I have come across OmniFocus and Toodledo. I like the idea of Toodledo, and I currently own the iPhone and iPad apps for this system. I like the idea of syncing between my Macbook, my iPad, and my iPhone, as well as my Windows 7 computer, and any other computer I may be near via the web interface.

I realize I would be stuck with my Apple products with OmniFocus, but I was hoping someone could tell me why I would make the investment in the Omni Systems instead of the free (or $15 yearly) with toodledo, besides the fact the Omni looks prettier.

Thanks!

It's been a while since I looked at Toodledo, so if any of this is incorrect, please accept my apologies in advance. :-)

Off the top of my head, some advantages would be:
  • single-purchase vs. subscription payments
  • being able to keep all of your data on devices you control if privacy is important. (No third-party server required, in other words.)
  • all of OmniFocus' location-based features
  • the ability to create and save custom views of your database (perspectives)
  • Additional GTD support (the reviewing features, for example)

Other folks may have other ideas; hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
It's been a while since I looked at Toodledo, so if any of this is incorrect, please accept my apologies in advance. :-)

Off the top of my head, some advantages would be:
  • single-purchase vs. subscription payments
  • being able to keep all of your data on devices you control if privacy is important. (No third-party server required, in other words.)
  • all of OmniFocus' location-based features
  • the ability to create and save custom views of your database (perspectives)
  • Additional GTD support (the reviewing features, for example)

Other folks may have other ideas; hope this helps!
Well, the purchase price of the omni suite is far beyond the $15/year I would spend on toodledo. That would take a long, long time to equal out.

I am not too terribly concerned with privacy at this point. I mean if someone steals my list, who cares what math homework I had to do...

Location based features ... Can't I just use contexts? Otherwise, school, home, not that big a deal to me.

Perspectives interests me. I'll have to look into it.

As far as GTD, I have read that toodledo is pretty up on those features. I still have yet to read up on that, but think I have a basic grasp.

For me, price is an issue, but I understand value. I mean if omni offers me something worthwhile I will spend the money. If not, the free features of toodledo seem to be working.

So let me ask you a few questions:

. What do you want to get out of the GTD system you decide to implement in your day to day?
. How important is net based access to your Tasks?
. How important is a thriving user base to you for feedback?
. How long have you been applying GTD by David Allen to get stuff done?
. If the perfect system was working for you right now, what would that look like and how would it make you feel?

I am just asking to help me understand what your overall needs are.

Thanks,
-policarpo | GTD2CYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptizzl View Post
Location based features ... Can't I just use contexts? Otherwise, school, home, not that big a deal to me.
Brian was talking about location-aware contexts available on Omnifocus for the iOS devices (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch). After you set up locations, you can launch Omnifocus and essentially ask "What can I do that's nearby" or "How far do I have to go to complete this task?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by policarpo View Post
So let me ask you a few questions:

. What do you want to get out of the GTD system you decide to implement in your day to day?
. How important is net based access to your Tasks?
. How important is a thriving user base to you for feedback?
. How long have you been applying GTD by David Allen to get stuff done?
. If the perfect system was working for you right now, what would that look like and how would it make you feel?

I am just asking to help me understand what your overall needs are.

Thanks,
-policarpo | GTD2CYA
Those seem like great questions...
-I want to be able to use and understand my system. It needs to be very accessible. I want it to be one single system.
-Net based access when I think of it is more of a "want" than a "need" I mean I really will only be accessing it from my iPad, iPhone, and MacBook. But the idea of being able to access it anywhere is intriguing.
-I think a great user base is really important. Where else would I find the answers to these kinds of questions?
-I am just now starting to research the GTD systems instead of large lists of single items, and projects consisting of multiple items.
-The perfect system would make me feel more organized and calm. I have a fairly hectic schedule and This would relieve a large burden. One big thing for me would be notifications, which I don't see in omni. I would like something to beep at me and say,"submit files online" at a certain time. I also don't want to see things that can't be done now. For example, if I need to submit my paper online every Sunday, I don't want to see that on Saturday, and similarly, I would like an alert at say 1:00 telling me what to do...

Overall, to me, all of these systems seem so similar. Things was working well for me, but that was when I was using it primarily on my iPhone, and leaving my computer at home. I would walk in the door and sync it. Now I have all three devices with me most of the time, and want them to all stay in sync.

Quote:
Those seem like great questions...
-I want to be able to use and understand my system. It needs to be very accessible. I want it to be one single system.
-Net based access when I think of it is more of a "want" than a "need" I mean I really will only be accessing it from my iPad, iPhone, and MacBook. But the idea of being able to access it anywhere is intriguing.
-I think a great user base is really important. Where else would I find the answers to these kinds of questions?
-I am just now starting to research the GTD systems instead of large lists of single items, and projects consisting of multiple items.
-The perfect system would make me feel more organized and calm. I have a fairly hectic schedule and This would relieve a large burden. One big thing for me would be notifications, which I don't see in omni. I would like something to beep at me and say,"submit files online" at a certain time. I also don't want to see things that can't be done now. For example, if I need to submit my paper online every Sunday, I don't want to see that on Saturday, and similarly, I would like an alert at say 1:00 telling me what to do...

Overall, to me, all of these systems seem so similar. Things was working well for me, but that was when I was using it primarily on my iPhone, and leaving my computer at home. I would walk in the door and sync it. Now I have all three devices with me most of the time, and want them to all stay in sync.
Omnifocus has great Growl integration on the Mac at least, so you can set it up to display a notification and play a sound when an event is due, overdue, or available.

And no program I've found makes it as easy to enter a start date as Omnifocus does. A repeating task with a start date of Sunday at 1:00 and a due date of say Sunday at 10:00 with Growl will do exactly what you asked: display a notification and a sound exactly when you need (or want) to do something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Omnifocus has great Growl integration on the Mac at least, so you can set it up to display a notification and play a sound when an event is due, overdue, or available.

And no program I've found makes it as easy to enter a start date as Omnifocus does. A repeating task with a start date of Sunday at 1:00 and a due date of say Sunday at 10:00 with Growl will do exactly what you asked: display a notification and a sound exactly when you need (or want) to do something.
This doesn't exist on the mobile versions though? An alert on my iPhone would probably be the biggest concern I have. Thanks for the fast reply.

I'm trying out the mac version of OmniFocus now, as well as the Pro version of ToodleDo. I'll let you know which I like better in a week or so :)

Quote:
This doesn't exist on the mobile versions though? An alert on my iPhone would probably be the biggest concern I have. Thanks for the fast reply.
If you specify a Time and Date on the iPhone under iOS4 it will show up as a notification on the device. I have alarms firing daily to remind me to Feed and Bathe the baby at specific times. :)