The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

selecting rows by a date Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have an outline with many different levels, but all rows have a date column. I would like to make a new document with JUST the rows whose date is greater than, say, a month ago. The new document should keep the same structure (levels of indentation) as the old one.

Suggestions?

I know of a script that will allow you to filter in the fashion you request (and in other ways as well), but it unfortunately does not maintain the structure —*you just get a flat list of rows that matched. Any interest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesafoster View Post
a new document with JUST the rows whose date is greater than, say, a month ago. The new document should keep the same structure (levels of indentation) as the old one.
I'm just trying to clarify in my mind how one would want to resolve the tension between only wanting matching rows, and still wanting the same degrees of indent.

If the only matching dates are the deepest leaves (the most indented rows), how, for example, would we best return them with the same level of indent while also eliminating all of their ancestors ?

Placing an indentation chain of empty nodes above them, perhaps ?

Or if the only two matches are the root node (least indented row) and the deepest leaf (most indented row), what should we return ?
  1. The whole tree ?
  2. The full chain of descent, all details preserved, down to the deepest leaf ?
  3. A full chain of descent in which all the intermediate nodes are blank ?

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2011-09-08 at 01:03 AM..