The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

new context symbol Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
A bit off topic, but to respond to an earlier comment in this thread: If you read the notes, the terminology for "Filter" is going to be changed to "Arrangement," which actually makes more sense since most of the "filter" modes are actually just rearrangement modes, and the noun "arrangement" doesn't necessarily imply that everything will be visible, whereas "filter" does not at all imply that everything may still be visible.

In light of the terminology change, I think the new icon makes sense.

Regarding the new context icon: I think the direction that it is going is better than the @ symbol, which doesn't always make sense as pointed out in an example above. Considering that many of us do not use contexts in the strict GTD fashion that is largely irrelevant to heavy computer users, having a more generic arrow works for me. However, I don't much care for the implementation. I think the red dot is too "hot" for lack of a better term. There is too much visual emphasis on the icon, which is largely redundant in the shelf. In that light, I liked the @ better because it was diminished and simply became part of the title. I never really noticed it before. Now I see this bright red dot all over the place, and it makes me feel as if it should really mean something, when in most cases it doesn't mean much at all. The yellow background of the shelf is warning enough that we are not looking at projects.

please, please bring back the @ symbol. the new icon is confusing, loud, and unintuitive. i don't understand the reason for the change. even for those not following GTD, the @ symbol is universally understood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsgoodtome
please, please bring back the @ symbol. the new icon is confusing, loud, and unintuitive. i don't understand the reason for the change. even for those not following GTD, the @ symbol is universally understood.
I agree. The poking arrow has to fly out the window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberV
A bit off topic, but to respond to an earlier comment in this thread: If you read the notes, the terminology for "Filter" is going to be changed to "Arrangement," which actually makes more sense since most of the "filter" modes are actually just rearrangement modes, and the noun "arrangement" doesn't necessarily imply that everything will be visible, whereas "filter" does not at all imply that everything may still be visible.
And my interpretation is the opposite — arrangement means changing the order of the visible items, without changing their visibility, and filter means allowing different items to pass through the filter to the viewscreen.

I'll live with either term, but for me, filter is more intuitive.

--Liz

Another vote for the @ over the goofy arrow-dot.

The mighty arrow-of-next-action-completion icon has been replaced with a nice discrete @-is-for-action card. I like it!

Curt

I'm glad to see the "@" is now back. I like the new version of it as well.

Back to a nice icon again.

So much better! Maybe a touch less space between the icon and the context, the icon feels a bit disconnected from the text.

i completely agree with a previous poster - why have an icon at all? - semiotically speaking ... it only signifies when it's in contrast to other signs around it. all contexts are contexts - they're in the context view - what else do they need to be?

i would personally like the ability to embolden, or italicise top level context groups, or perhaps colour code different levels of contexts, but the same icon, over and over again, is redundant - and i think - ugly.