The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Inbox use Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Makes sense...

In thinking more about the inbox app idea, I'm not sure how much I would use it over the inbox already in the application. It might be cool for getting thoughts out quickly, but many times I am already in the OF app and would use the inbox therin.

I'm just happy that there is an iPhone OF app!

I'm not sure a separate inbox app would do much for me, either. I tend to use the phone inbox for quick capture and do my sorting on the desktop app. Since I don't assign contexts or projects to many items on the phone, I don't see the keystroke (or tapping) savings: -> open iOF -> tap the inbox icon -> enter something in the title -> save -> out of mind, process it later.

Outside of being able to assign iOF to the home button double tap shortcut, I'm not sure you can get a much more direct path to the inbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawDaddy View Post
I'm not sure a separate inbox app would do much for me, either. I tend to use the phone inbox for quick capture and do my sorting on the desktop app. Since I don't assign contexts or projects to many items on the phone, I don't see the keystroke (or tapping) savings: -> open iOF -> tap the inbox icon -> enter something in the title -> save -> out of mind, process it later.
I think that's exactly the point! I too don't do a lot of sorting on the iPhone; it's my capture device. Therefore capture should be as quick as possible.

You're right; if you're doing a text item a separate app (or whatever) wouldn't save you a lot of time. But it would if you just wanted to record a note or take a photo, which was my point.

Typing is fine on the iPhone (I've had all kinds of mobile devices, and the iPhone is the best by far for typing), but still causes you to stop if you're walking or similar, and is obviously a definite no-no if driving. What could be better or more intuitive as a thought capture method, especially if you process everything on the desktop as you do, than recording a note at the touch of a button, then listening to it and typing it up when you get back to the office?

Quote:
Outside of being able to assign iOF to the home button double tap shortcut, I'm not sure you can get a much more direct path to the inbox.
True, but you can get a more direct path to recording and saving a voice note.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I didn't meant to imply that we won't consider ways of improving quick entry - it's definitely something that has gotten some discussion internally. I just don't want to commit to any particular solution or any particular timeframe.
No of course, but we can suggest specific methods for you to consider, right? ;)

The main point is that if you want to enter a text item, there's some but not a lot of improvement to be made, but enabling quick capture of thoughts by voice would be a huge step forward on a device like the iPhone.

I included a "New Text Item" button in my opening screen idea, because I wouldn't want anything that was done to improve voice entry to be at the expense of text entry, and because I wondered if that might avoid the slight lag of opening the full database if all you wanted to do was enter a quick thought.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
In thinking more about the inbox app idea, I'm not sure how much I would use it over the inbox already in the application. It might be cool for getting thoughts out quickly, but many times I am already in the OF app and would use the inbox therin.
Well, two points.

1) If you're in the app, then make a phone call that results in a need to enter an action, you're automatically NOT in the app any more. I doubt most people are normally in the app.

And 2) Even if you are in the app, recording a new voice note as a way to get a thought in there quickly still isn't that quick. In fact at the moment it's quicker to just type something.

I'd be happy if, as a first step, we had a toolbar button that let us record a voice inbox item without going through the full editor. In reality the only difference between that and my start-up screen idea is that maybe the startup screen avoids the need to wait for the database to load, but maybe that's not possible anyway.

I don't like the idea of too many toolbar buttons, so maybe the current inbox one could be configureable so the user could decide what it did. Maybe then the + button could be enabled for other choices when in the OF home screen.

Quote:
I'm just happy that there is an iPhone OF app!
Me too, big time. But there's nothing more frustrating than something that's nearly perfect!!!!!!

Mark

That piece of sand in the Oyster eh? :)

Right now, to add a text item is it's two buttons to add to the inbox.
Hit Omni Application
Hit add to inbox
Start typing
Save.

But to add an audio note, it's more like 5 buttons.

I would be happy with a tweak to the add to inbox button to bring up a panel like evernote.

A user clicks on add to inbox button.
Three Big Buttons... add text inbox item, add audio inbox item, add photo inbox item.

I don't want to fiddle with project, context or due until I am processing my inbox.

Maybe we are all saying the same thing? Is this what you have been saying from the start?

It seems the real issue is how long it takes to enter a task into the inbox.

I just did a test. For me to enter a new task with the word test and click save, starting from the home screen it took 15 seconds.

For me to enter a new sticky note with the words test and click done, it took 10 seconds.

I'd say that's pretty good.

The issue may be more with how long does it take for your omnifocus document to open.

18 seconds here from the home page, to enter a text item with subject "test", including loading time. Not good.

25 seconds from the home screen to record a voice message saying "test", with subject "V". Very bad. It shouldn't really take much longer than the actual phrase I want to say.

That was on the second attempt BTW - first try it locked up.

But the main point is that voice recording is pointless as things stand because you have to type a subject anyway, so why not type it in full? Voice could be the quickest method of all to chuck a thought into OF.

Mark

I agree... voice should be the fastest.

I would like quicker access to the voice recording as well. Although... I don't believe you need to type a subject. You can have a blank subject with just a voice memo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
Although... I don't believe you need to type a subject. You can have a blank subject with just a voice memo.
It didn't save when I tried that, but maybe that was a glitch. I'll try again later.

Mark