The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Folder notes - GUI access ? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In the Omnifocus object model exposed by Applescript, folders have notes.

I can not see a way of editing or viewing the note of a folder through the GUI. Am I missing something ?

(The ctrl-click context menu for a folder includes an "Attach File ..." item, but this seems to be a dead link at the moment [build 96179])

(The immediate context for wanting viewable folder notes is for completeness of import from Taskpaper. Taskpaper supports nested projects and its projects can have notes. The only way to model this fully in an import to Omnifocus would be to translate enclosing projects into folders, and to allow the editing and viewing of folder notes.)

Last edited by RobTrew; 2007-12-17 at 03:12 AM..

My guess is that its in the object model because many tree elements all inherit from a base class. I doubt that it was ever meant to be in the UI (where would you show the note, in the sidebar?).

Since folder names don't wrap (unlike most of the columns in the content view unfortuneately) you could always give your folder a long ass name.... ;-)

-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptone View Post
where would you show the note, in the sidebar?
Displaying / editing folder notes in an inspector dialog would be more than enough. There would need to be some slight visual indication of which folders had notes (a slightly modified folder icon, for example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
In the Omnifocus object model exposed by Applescript, folders have notes.
.. as do contexts =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
I can not see a way of editing or viewing the note of a folder through the GUI. Am I missing something ?
Nope; we've not turned this on at the moment, but it wouldn't be hard -- the only real issue is getting the UI to look right and be useable. In particular, folders don't even show up in the content area unless you are grouping by folder.

Anyway, if you'd find this useful, <bug://bugs/37850> (Enable notes on folders) is something you could reference in Send Feedback.