The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Adobe Reader 8 Not Working with OmniWeb Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I use PDFs a lot while I'm browsing and heavily rely on the use of browser plugins to view PDF documents. I used to use the PDF Browser Plugin from Schubert-it but now I'm on Intel, so I've been stuck, however Adobe recently released Adobe Reader 8, which is universal.

However, I'm wondering why Adobe Reader's web browser plugin doesn't work right for me in OmniWeb. In Safari, it works just fine, however when I go into the OmniWeb preferences and enable the plugin, clicking on a PDF link just gives me the Adobe Reader icon in the center of the window...and that's it. Is this something wrong with OmniWeb or with Adobe, and what can I do to fix this?

Here's a quote from a previous time this question came up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
We at Omni would be happy to support the Adobe plugin--unfortunately, they do not support us.

This is an Adobe issue--they make assumptions in their library that unless they are running in Safari, they are actually running in Acrobat/Adobe Reader--this will cause problems for any other WebKit application. The only reason that WebKit.app works is because it actually runs Safari underneath.

To clarify further - the Adobe plug-in will only work in Safari and no other Mac browser at all. It is an Adobe problem, but don't hold your breath waiting for a fix.

Is there any kind of workaround? Or any other PDF plugin that I could use that doesn't require me to run OmniWeb in Rosetta?

If you are running PPC based (not Intel) Mac, you can use Schubert PDF plugin which works much better than Adobe one:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16527

It is freeware for non commercial use and if I was a corporate user having lot to do with PDFs, I would buy it in a second.

If you have Intel Mac, you can subscribe to "alert me when it is updated" so VT will mail you, it is free now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilgaz
If you are running PPC based (not Intel) Mac, you can use Schubert PDF plugin which works much better than Adobe one:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16527

It is freeware for non commercial use and if I was a corporate user having lot to do with PDFs, I would buy it in a second.

If you have Intel Mac, you can subscribe to "alert me when it is updated" so VT will mail you, it is free now.
heh, in his first post he wrote I used to use the PDF Browser Plugin from Schubert-it but now I'm on Intel

Setting the hidden preference using Terminal worked for me two weeks ago when I did it (and it was very fine), but now I'm back to it not displaying (or doing anything) with pdf's (other than a big red A square). I tried re-applying the line in the Terminal, but without success. Is it no longer working? (I'm using 5.5.3.)

Just to make sure, you're quitting OW, running the Terminal command and then relaunching OW. Correct?

I tried it again, this time I typed the specified line into terminal (not pasting). Now I reopened OmniWeb, and dragged a pdf onto the omniweb icon. It displayed perfectly. Once. Now I drag a different icon. No luck. I try a live pdf on the web, and no luck. Finally, I go back and drag the original pdf file onto the OmniWeb dock icon and... a big red square. Am I doing something wrong in the terminal to make it only work one time? I didn't quit terminal or anything, just hit return. I did have OmniWeb quit during the terminal session.