The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nesting contexts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I have a remark about the way nested contexts are viewed in OF. When you select a context it displays the context and all it's child contexts. To me it seems that OF should display the selected context + it's parent contexts instead.

A context list should only display actions that you are able to complete in that context. By including child contexts instead of parent contexts the list often includes actions that you can not complete at that time.

For example consider a context 'laptop' with a child context 'online'. Selecting the laptop context will also give you the online context while in fact you may not be online at that time. A workaround would be reversing the order of these contexts, listing more specific contexts as parent contexts.

The problem becomes more apparent when you have more then one sub-context. For example:

- Laptop
-- Office network

If you select the laptop context both sub-context that may not apply are displayed. When you select a sub-context the more general context which does apply is not shown. In this case there are two workarounds:

1. including an exhaustive list of sub-contexts:

- Laptop
-- General
-- Office network

2. Fake nesting by using context names:

- Laptop
- Laptop > Online
- Laptop > Office network

The problem with workaround 1 is that you might assign actions to the laptop context by accident. Workaround 2 renders the nesting feature useless.

I think the solution here would be to show the selected context + parents. Is this just me or is there some preference I'm overlooking?