The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OO as a notes db; and for preparing a book Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I currently use a (FileMaker) database I built to store notes of anything under the sun I think of or paste in from other sources. The main fields I use are title, category (with a value list for creating consistency for searching and sorting), and entry. The entry field ranges from 0 sentences (if the title says it all), typically up to maximum of a 'page' or few of text. I also have date created and modified, which occasionally come in handy for 'placing' a note in time.

While I can find information easily, and am able to sort, and do finds on found sets (to progressively reduce the set of found records), I really miss the ability to have Spotlight find information in this database. For this reason, as well as the opportunity to hierarchically organize information, and also to create an organizing structure for a book, I'm thinking migrating my data to OO.

I've used OO a bit, but don't have much savvy about its comparison to database use for notes. If anyone has anything to say about that, or how to use it to develop a book (i.e., the structures of OO and how they might relate to chapters, etc.), I'd appreciate any feedback. Sorry for such a somewhat broad set of questions.

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2008-07-06 at 09:11 AM..