The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

1.02 is out, but my DB is 1.2 MB in size, how do I slim it down now? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have the latest OF update as of this instance. I have the just released OF iPhone App as of right now 1.0.2.

My DB is taking forever to sync (5 + minutes) on my phone and I can't get my DB to shrink. I backed it up, didn't shrink but 0.1 MB. I archived everything starting yesterday, no help in size.

I guess I will rebuild and start over but if anyone has some quick advice, I am all ears. I have no client files in my DB on my iDisk.

If you have OmniFocus on your Mac, sync it up, then force a backup (File > Back up Database). Check the size of that backup you just made. If it's still about 1.2 MB, please email omnifocus@omnigroup.com so we can figure out what's going on.

If it is smaller, move aside the OmniFocus file on your iDisk. On the Mac, choose File > Revert to Database and choose the backup you just made. Now sync it back up to your iDisk. Now sync it to your iPhone (if it asks whether to use Server or Local, choose Server.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
If you have OmniFocus on your Mac, sync it up, then force a backup (File > Back up Database). Check the size of that backup you just made. If it's still about 1.2 MB, please email omnifocus@omnigroup.com so we can figure out what's going on.

If it is smaller, move aside the OmniFocus file on your iDisk. On the Mac, choose File > Revert to Database and choose the backup you just made. Now sync it back up to your iDisk. Now sync it to your iPhone (if it asks whether to use Server or Local, choose Server.)
Seems to be the case for me. I emailed it away. It reports 1.2 MB on disk and ~198 KB in the email as an attachment.

I apologize. Corrected instructions:

1) Backup your OmniFocus database
2) Run this script
Attached Files
File Type: zip CoalesceDatabase.scpt.zip (3.2 KB, 456 views)

Yeah, the original instructions didn't work but I just took the time to rebuild the database. It is growing again but I will see how big it gets. I am going to run your script anyway to see what happens since I used a previous smaller DB that was only a few days old. Probably has the same problem in it. Thanks!

I am beginning to wonder if my DB is possessed. I am up to 72 KB after being under 28 KB earlier to day. One computer and one iPhone is all that have sync'd so far. Very few action items (less than 30) and no attachments.

EDIT: 104 KB now. Less than 20 actions

Last edited by dude; 2008-07-31 at 06:46 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude View Post
I am beginning to wonder if my DB is possessed. I am up to 72 KB after being under 28 KB earlier to day. One computer and one iPhone is all that have sync'd so far. Very few action items (less than 30) and no attachments.

EDIT: 104 KB now. Less than 20 actions
With a modern filesystem, that's not surprising. Each change you make to the database is recorded as a new transaction. On my 250 GB hard disk, each new transaction file is 4K, because that is the size of the blocks that the filesystem allocates.

I wouldn't worry about 104 KB. Worry if your file gets over a megabyte--that might be a sign of a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
With a modern filesystem, that's not surprising. Each change you make to the database is recorded as a new transaction. On my 250 GB hard disk, each new transaction file is 4K, because that is the size of the blocks that the filesystem allocates.

I wouldn't worry about 104 KB. Worry if your file gets over a megabyte--that might be a sign of a problem.
Yes, I have noticed the file increases in size by 4 KB. I am going to wait to see what happens after a week. Normally, I will be over 1 MB in a week. Very frustrating on the iPhone. But I have my fingers crossed because I can finally use OF the way it should be used. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
I apologize. Corrected instructions:

1) Backup your OmniFocus database
2) Run this script
Wow, thank you for this! I realized that my database backups had normally been around the 50KB range, then suddenly jumped to 1.3MB one day, and today grew to 2.6MB!

After running this script, it dropped down to 512KB. Is this something I should run every now and then?

You should only need to run it if you've changed sync settings on any of your machines, or if you have stopped using OmniFocus on a machine you used to use it on. (And eventually, we want to make it unnecessary even then.)
But as long as you've got a backup handy, there's no harm in running it more often.