The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

To Do and Note Taking - A great combination Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMog2002 View Post
I use Evernote extensively for note taking. Frequently, I'll be in meetings where I want to take freeform notes that don't really belong in an OmniFocus action items list, so I'll have both Evernote and OmniFocus up on my MBP. This isn't really an option on the iPad, so I'd love to see an integration between the two so that I can have one of those apps up and enter data that appears in the other.
I'd like this as well, or even be happy with the concept of Project Notes for projects. To me, projects don't just have tasks and todos, they have notes, and being able to have both in one app would be great.

Hi therickaustin,

maybe you want to have a look at my workflow.
For taking notes and snippets form Safari I exclusively use Alfons Schmid's "Notebooks" on both, iPhone and iPad. This is a mighty little App that offers nested folders (very cool), full text searches, syncing (via MobileMe, webDev servers, SyncDocs) task management, smartbooks and much more. And "Notebooks" allows sending notes a/o tasks to Omnifocus! (This feature has to be be enabled in the App Settings and sends selected notes to the Inbox of Omnifocus. The first line of a note becomes the title of the Onmifocus entry, the rest of the note becomes the attachment/content). So, whenever I think, that a note should also appear in OmniFocus I use this action. This works perfectly for me.
I am happy to see, that I am not the only "Notebooks" user in this forum ;-)

Notebooks has a "Send to OmniFocus" option in the send to dialog. Really useful.

Someone beat me to it!

Note and actions are different things serving different purposes. Actions are ephemeral, once you have completed it you no longer need it whereas notes are reference material, they last for the lifetime of a project or even longer.
If your notes don't need this permanence then there is the existing notes fields for actions and projects.
Adding note taking will add complexity and bloat to OF. While it's not as outlandish as the mail client suggestion, it's still not a core function of task management.
A better feature would be integration with Omni's other apps so data can be shared between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry View Post
Note and actions are different things serving different purposes. Actions are ephemeral, once you have completed it you no longer need it whereas notes are reference material, they last for the lifetime of a project or even longer.
If your notes don't need this permanence then there is the existing notes fields for actions and projects.
Adding note taking will add complexity and bloat to OF. While it's not as outlandish as the mail client suggestion, it's still not a core function of task management.
A better feature would be integration with Omni's other apps so data can be shared between them.
I agree that the better solution would be integration with Omni's other apps (OG, OO), but while "not a core function of task management", IMO notes are a core function of GTD. Although it is otherwise completely unoperable, this is one of the few things Midnight Inbox got right.

Quote:
For short-term note taking (as long as the project lasts) I crated an @info context that will allow that.

Otherwise: YES, give us a common "data base", I.e. File format interchangeable between for example OF, OG & OO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypotyposis View Post
IMO notes are a core function of GTD. Although it is otherwise completely unoperable, this is one of the few things Midnight Inbox got right.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought notes were raw material for your Inbox which may be discarded, turned into actions or entered into your filing system. They're not 'entered into' your action lists.

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought notes were raw material for your Inbox which may be discarded, turned into actions or entered into your filing system. They're not 'entered into' your action lists.
If you are only worried about keeping track of your todos that is true. If you are trying to organize a project, its a little cumbersome to have to use different software to organize todos and your notes.

Quote:
Hi Henry,

You're absolutely right—and this is where there is greater debate about project support material (as brought up by jklymak) on the one hand, and on the other hand about reference material in general (where do you file your electronic reference stuff? OF or outside?).
reQall's implementation with Evernote linked in is a good model, and I think the kind of thing you were envisaging when talking about integration of Omni's apps.
In my particular case, I'm interested in a workflow solution that would enable me to enter to-dos and notes in the same app, and then automatically send notes to a good electronic reference system as smoothly as possible (I know, I know, scriptable with OF).

Now with the release of OmniOutliner for iPad we can all lobby for the sort of integration discussed above.

Half my working day is spent in meetings and the ability to take notes and also flag actions which could then be sent to Omnifocus would be fantastic!