The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Problem with repeating tasks in sequential lists Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I would like to configure a project in OF to help me pay my electricity bill on time. Here's the project's tasks [with their statuses]:

1. Wait for arrival of Hydro-Quebec bill by e-mail [active; next action]
2. Pay amount of bill online [waiting on previous step]
3. Enter expense into accounting spreadsheet [waiting on previous step]

In step 1, the e-mail comes at the earliest on the 20th of the month, so I put that as the start date. It comes every month, and so I set a 1-month repeat based on the assigned date. So far so good.

Step 2 can only start once step 1 is complete, so I make the entire project a sequential list. I also set the due date for step 2 to be the 20th of the following month, which is when payment is due. I also set this task to repeat based on the assigned date.

Step 3 has no start or due date, but like the others, is given a 1-month repeat based on the assigned date.

The problem now is that when I mark step 1 as complete, it creates a new task right away, right under the old step 1. My list now looks like this:

1. Wait for arrival of Hydro-Quebec bill by e-mail [completed]
1. Wait for arrival of Hydro-Quebec bill by e-mail [waiting to start]
2. Pay amount of bill online [waiting on previous step]
3. Enter expense into accounting spreadsheet [waiting on previous step]

Thus, I never get to step 2, since step 1 keeps creating repeats of itself which inhibit the start of step 2!

Any ideas on how I can fix this? Ideally, I would like the new step 1s to be created after step 3.

Thanks,
- Anthony

This is a known problem. I suggested a fix in this thread, if you agree, please send Omni some official feedback.

For now, what I do is just set the start and due dates for the group as a whole, rather than for individual actions. This has the bad side effect that you now have to go back into planning mode to mark the entire group as completed before the next round of actions will show up. But it's the only workaround I know of.

Thanks for the quick reply, Chris. I'll join you in asking the Omni Group to fix this bug, and use the workaround you suggest in the meantime.

Thanks again!
- Anthony