The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OF Pricing: The great debate of '08 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Omnifocus, as all other Omni software I use (Outliner, Plan and Graffle) paid itself approx. 2 days after I started using it. $80 is a bargain. The way this software supports me in my daily work is invaluable.

quick question: will upgraded versions of omnifocus cost? that is, version 2, 3 and so on? If so how much, roughly?

Upgrades are usually 50% of the price. The good thing about OG is they are a little slow in development, so it will be years before OF 2.0.

BZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
Upgrades are usually 50% of the price. The good thing about OG is they are a little slow in development, so it will be years before OF 2.0.

BZ
Thanks! Good to know it's a while off too

Pricing is always an interesting topic.

$80 was just over my limit - but after the 2 week trial the value of it (particularly as there's really nothing that matches it) caused me to go ahead and drop the cash. The more I use it the more valuable it's become to me. No regrets.

And, no resentment towards Omni on the pricing strategy. They produce things of quality and support them. That's worth a lot and it's not cheap to provide.

I'd have preferred to pay less.

--oh, also, folks who say "I got a discount, but I think the price is fine." only get half a vote

Last edited by reedwade; 2008-02-10 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: added note

I took advantage of the early-adopter discount, and the OmniOutliner Pro discount too, but I certainly would have paid the full $80 if I had too. I'm not interested in cheap software; I want good software, the best I can reasonably get. Considering the amount of time I spend in front of my computer, I've learned that it's almost always better to choose the best application available, even if it costs more. It easily pays off in the log run.

As for those of us who paid the discounted price "only getting half a vote", what sense does that make? Us early adopters put our money down _before_ OmniFocus was even released! In some respects, that's a greater price and bigger vote of confidence than paying the full $80 weeks later. :-)

Too expensive. I wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't been in the beta and been an Omni Outline owner. I've sunk too much into turkeys like Life Balance and into Palm Pilots and the like, and have gotten price sensitive. I almost regret that OmniFocus came out right as Leopard came out, since I would have liked to play with the new Mail.app/Calendar features a bit before using Yet Another Productivity Program.

The current hepcat indie software mantra is "If people aren't complaining about the price, it's too cheap," so don't expect it to fall. It would be too much of a lose of face among their peers.

One think Omni loses with the price is word of mouth. I use it, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's not because I don't like it. Rather, it's the combination of price plus learning curve for all but the more rabid GTD faithful (of which I am one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty Crunch View Post
Too expensive. I wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't been in the beta and been an Omni Outline owner. I've sunk too much into turkeys like Life Balance and into Palm Pilots and the like, and have gotten price sensitive. I almost regret that OmniFocus came out right as Leopard came out, since I would have liked to play with the new Mail.app/Calendar features a bit before using Yet Another Productivity Program.
That sounds like you're a personal productivity tool addict (takes one to know one ;). It seems like your real issue is getting down to using them and stop just buying them ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty Crunch View Post
The current hepcat indie software mantra is "If people aren't complaining about the price, it's too cheap," so don't expect it to fall. It would be too much of a lose of face among their peers.

One think Omni loses with the price is word of mouth. I use it, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's not because I don't like it. Rather, it's the combination of price plus learning curve for all but the more rabid GTD faithful (of which I am one).
Now why would any product, software or other, lose word-of-mouth potential because it's too expensive? As you can see in this post, those that shelled out the cash and bought the product are glowing advocates of the software and Omni Group. And a price that is just out of some people's comfort zone makes it even more interesting.

Time = Money

OF saves me a ton of time by helping me to do my work in a more focused fashion. I could build you a model of how much that saves me, but I am not going to - you get the point.

The tech support I have received, and the knowledge that Omni puts 100% into a product (like having 4 devs. on the next update) when they put it out is worth the extra $30 above other apps for me, no question...

A software created with such a good conception is worth this price. OF is working without bugs and I hope Omni Group will keep on this kind of excellent work for many many years. We need this smaller developers besides the ADOBE and all the others trying to get a monopol.