The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

what to do with blackberry? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
You can have a small taste of that right now by using File->Export to save a copy of your database as HTML, then placing that on your website (or perhaps directly on your mobile device).

YES PLEASE! :D

With google gears? Optimised for mobile (eg Android)? :D

That would add SERIOUS value to my setup.

*hopes*

a blackberry app or web interface would be great.. any found a good way to do this lately?

I've used an iPhone for a couple of years, but have recently migrated back to the Blackberry which in my opinion is much better suited to business use. Beside in the UK the iPhone is exploited by the networks to charge an extra £10 per month which makes it untenable in my book.

It would be great to have a sync or web facility (perhaps like toodledo?) that can be accessed via the web.

I doubt it'll be too long before someone does it, but I do hope it's Omni.

Blackberry integration with Mac OS is rapidly improving, especially with the release of v5. Omni may lose customers if they wait too long to implement something. I do believe that Blackberries are still the most used business phones.

Many thanks for a great programme though, I really love omnifocus!

I mentioned in my last post that if Omni doesn't do it someone else will, well they have and I must say they have done it extremely well.

I love Omnifocus, but do not have my laptop with me all the time. However, I do have my blackberry with me all the time. I came across Rexwireless. They provide a full task management that links with a web interface. You can create a task out of an email, sms in two clicks. It works in just about every BB app. You can assign context, role, priority and the reminders are superb. You set custom alerts and so on.

I'm now in the difficult position of asking myself if I'll continue with Omnifocus. The main negative with Rexwireless is that the web interface sucks. However, the bottom line for me is that the blackberry is my choice of smartphone and whatever I use must work with it.

This thread is over 2 years old. An Omnifocus web application does not appear to to be on the horizon.

Having used a number of smartphones over the years, I personally find that the iPhone apps are just too limited. Granted the apps are cheap in general. However, the apps on the blackberry are superb, which is why I believe so many businesses use them. Include into that that an iPhone contract will cost you £10 month extra or an extra £150 for the handset, just makes it untenable for most.

I don't understand why Omni doesn't create a native app for the Blackberry, as I believe in terms of people who use omnifocus, it will mostly be business people of which a large swathe are blackberry users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
What if instead of targeting every possible platform, we built a version of OmniFocus for the web which could sync with the Mac and iPhone versions?
Well, there are plenty of web solutions for general audience and companies that are able to sync with both Mac and iPhone.

People don’t like web solutions because they are not ‘native’ and therefore much less handy, you are limited only to places with good internet connection so your mobility is narrow. Another issue is security of data transfer.

I would consider web solution only as an addition to local cocoa/carbon version and not as a substitution.

But first of all you need to make your synchronization work so we never lose data. iPad and iPhone seem to still need a great work to be done.

Again Omni seem to be playing in too many fields without having enough resources. Focus. :)

Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makesense View Post
But first of all you need to make your synchronization work so we never lose data. iPad and iPhone seem to still need a great work to be done.

Again Omni seem to be playing in too many fields without having enough resources. Focus. :)
Hold on just a minute there — who are you claiming is losing data with synchronization? Evidence for this claim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Hold on just a minute there — who are you claiming is losing data with synchronization? Evidence for this claim?
Well I said 'seems'. If I claimed something I would have been more certain.

Why does it seem so? - Reading the changelog for OF for Mac 1.8 give me such idea. It directly states such issues were fixed. As I had no experience with it I can only assume that some other issues were or were not fixed and other will be found. Lets wait for update for an iPad version. I will be following these forums for a while. Having several years of experience with iOS I have no doubt that there will be lots of reports about sync with iOS 3, 4 for iPod/iPhone and for iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
What if instead of targeting every possible platform, we built a version of OmniFocus for the web which could sync with the Mac and iPhone versions?
Yes, yes, yes! This would mean, finally, that my Windows-centric office could be dragged into the 21st century!

al

Quote:
Originally Posted by makesense View Post
Well I said 'seems'. If I claimed something I would have been more certain.

Why does it seem so? - Reading the changelog for OF for Mac 1.8 give me such idea. It directly states such issues were fixed. As I had no experience with it I can only assume that some other issues were or were not fixed and other will be found. Lets wait for update for an iPad version. I will be following these forums for a while. Having several years of experience with iOS I have no doubt that there will be lots of reports about sync with iOS 3, 4 for iPod/iPhone and for iPad.
Uh? Are you referring to "Edits in progress should no longer get lost when changes are synchronized from another computer"? This doesn't seem to me like a real data loss problem, but really a borderline situation. Additionally, it doesn't refer to any loss of data that has been entered in OF, only to data that is being entered at the very moment when sync takes place...
I think that what all OF users can attest to however much they dislike the interface or have needs that are not addressed (tags, etc.) is that it is the most solid piece of GTD software out there in terms of data safety.