The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backup file format causes slow copies/backups Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm not sure what's going on, but everytime I try to copy the folder of backups to another computer - or my backup software runs (Chronosync), which moves files to a network server, it slows to a crawl for moving these files. Which seems ridiculous because they are only around 1-2mb, but I'm guessing its due to it being some kind of collection of compressed files?

Either way - this is a real issue - I don't understand why these file formats should cause such slowdown on a mac when copying the file. Maybe this is a Mac issue or a design issue with Omnifocus?

Hmmm... I haven't heard of an issue like this before. If you've been using OmniFocus for a while, you might check the total size of the backup folder–they do start to add up over time.

Haven't heard of this? This is even stranger. To be clear - this is not in regards to the number of backups - I've removed a bunch of old ones, but regardless - its about moving each specific backup.

I'm using Chronosync right now - it moves most files really fast but currently on a backup file its moving about .5kb per second - and it does this consistently. So a 2.8 mb file takes quite awhile to move when it should take a second or two.

OmniFocus backups are package files — directories full of many other files, masquerading as a single file. Select one of your backups, right-click and choose Show Package Contents and report back how many files are in one of your backups. Just about any copying of a package file with lots of internal files will take appreciably longer than a plain file occupying the same number of bytes on the disk. If you do not sync OmniFocus, the database backups will probably have many, many files (roughly one per change made), and occasionally using File->Compact Database should make future backups less tedious to handle.