The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Printing suggestions please Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I find I still like the good, old-fashioned, "check stuff off my list" feeling. I had gotten into a pretty good groove. I had certain perspectives that I would print when I was working at home and certain perspectives that I printed to take to work. Because of the inability to color code projects, I found it very helpful, when working from a list printed by context, to highlight by project (or vice versa).

Then last weekend, I finally found time to play with the style settings and make a nice, pretty theme.

Now, since my theme is dark, I have to reset the style preferences each time I want to print. I know that this isn't a huge deal and I can decide whether it's more worth it to me to have it 'pretty' on the computer and take the time to switch and switch back or whether it's worth saving that time and looking at the program with black on white in general.

But my question is whether I'm missing something easy. Whether via OF or just in regular Apple print preferences. I've got a Samsung Color Laser Printer (CLP-600) and the only setting I can find is to switch it to grayscale, which still prints with the colored background.

I'm guessing my other choices are to export to something or to do something with Applescript, but it's not that big of a deal to me. I just want to know if I'm missing an easy fix.

Thanks.

(BTW...while investigating this issue, I found the "Save PDF to Evernote" option...that's pretty sweet! I'm going to put some of my long-term, slow-moving projects there to refer to on the go.)

You can save multiple themes and switch back and forth between them using the little gear menu in the Style preferences. Make one for on-screen and one for printing and switch back and forth as needed. If you save the themes with the ofocus-theme extension, you could put an alias to it in your dock for a quick switch, though somewhat annoyingly opening a theme file externally leaves you in the Styles preference panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
You can save multiple themes and switch back and forth between them using the little gear menu in the Style preferences. Make one for on-screen and one for printing and switch back and forth as needed. If you save the themes with the ofocus-theme extension, you could put an alias to it in your dock for a quick switch, though somewhat annoyingly opening a theme file externally leaves you in the Styles preference panel.
Thanks. I'm currently doing the theme switch and switch back in preferences. I hadn't thought to put one in the dock. Will play with that. I've only ever had applications in my dock, then with Leopard, they added the folders to the right end...I just make an alias and drag it down to the dock...anywhere? And I'm guessing I'd need to have both there, my "print theme" and my "screen theme" to switch and switch back, right?

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malisa View Post
Thanks. I'm currently doing the theme switch and switch back in preferences. I hadn't thought to put one in the dock. Will play with that. I've only ever had applications in my dock, then with Leopard, they added the folders to the right end...I just make an alias and drag it down to the dock...anywhere? And I'm guessing I'd need to have both there, my "print theme" and my "screen theme" to switch and switch back, right?

Thanks again.
I don't have Leopard handy at the moment to check, but in Tiger, there's a line at the end of the applications, before the trash can, and files/folders need to be dropped to the right of that line. You can just drag the original there, I don't think you need to make an alias. If you wanted something on the desktop but not in the dock, then an alias might be the way to go.

If you use Quicksilver (or any other launch tool, I presume), you could add the themes folder in Library/Application Support/OmniFocus to the catalog of available things and switch that way too. Might be a few more keystrokes, but you don't have to give up the screen space. Someone with a 30" Cinema Display will have differing needs than someone using a Macbook on an airline tray table in row 47 :-)