The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Using Custom Magnets Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am trying to use custom magnets to create some stencils for system diagrams. There doesn't appear to be a way to specify which direction a connector will attach from.

For example - I am putting magnets on 4 ethernet ports arranged in a square, the 2 bottom magnets attach from below, but the top 2 get attachments from the right, which is not the desired location. I want to be able to attach from all 4 directions, or to restrict the attachment. Is there a way to control this? Not being able to do this (which I can do in Open Office) is a serious limitation for the type of diagrams I do on a regular basis.

I want this:
|
---- * ----
|

|
---- * ----
|

But get this:

* ----

|

Keywords: position direction connect angle

There should be no problem at all with magnets and getting what you want, I have drawn hundreds of physical system diagrams, using both the provided magnets and custom magnets, without any problem.

The only thing we do not have is a start-magnet and end-magnet: magnets allow any end of a line to be connected.

Also, create a midpoint in the line (double-click) and move the midpoint above the shape (which will cause the connect to then be from above).

Also, you description does not clearly identify the exact problem, can you attach an example.

Cheers