The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The OmniFocus Pre-Sale has begun! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I will try and add this to a christmas list and pray one of my tech-saavy relatives picks it up, but I can't say I haven't considered exporting my library and picking up a copy of Taskpaper if that doesn't happen.

I'm sorry if I upset any developers. I love the app, but I honestly don't know if I can afford a copy right now.

I'm afraid I agree that I find the $80 price for OF surprisingly high. Not for myself; as an OP user and OF guinea pig I got it for $30, which I think is reasonable, and Omni does great work and deserves every penny they get, but I think $40 is an important psychological price-point for applications with specific purposes for a lot of people. The full price of OO Pro is only $70, and that's a monstrous, open-ended toolkit that I would expect to be expensive.

My hunch is that they'd sell more than twice as many $40 copies as they will $80 copies, but that's only a hunch. Still, if I had had to pay the full $80 for OF as a new user, I would probably think "ouch! damn. That's too much. Rats, I really wanted it too." I'd guess a lot of people will react that way.

Just my two, and this is from a big Omni fan, and someone who's looking forward to using OF for years to come.

Holy Buzz Wording Focus Group Marketing Meatheadedness, Batman!

For anyone who has been anticipating OmniFocus and had watched the original "just enough working to show you something" intro video (more than once!) is stunned right now.

They add the "professional grade" buzzword to their new intro video and double the price?!

What focus groups did Omnigroup use to figure out it's pricing structure? "Professionals" who kinda-sorta need project planning, but not really (because that's not what this product is) and, given the 98% probability of having one, not use their PCs for this sort of thing at work? This thing doesn't integrate with Outlook, so it's the boutique-vanity pricing that going to convince them/us/me to buy it?

How about poor slobs (i.e. Macintosh-enlightened in a Dark windoze world) who love the Macintosh interface, must use PC's at work - and outlook specifically, and don't have a platoon-sized family life to manage?

Please don't tell me to buy it now! I don't have a Mac that will support it, or Leopard. So OmniFocus was just one more reason for getting that new Mac this Christmas season. Well, not anymore, *sigh*.

Dirty little secret: Right now I'm using microsoft outlook as my GTD tool at work and at home (see the David Allen web site for a pay-downloadable paper on how to set up outlook). I hate to say it but it's looking like I'll continue to use it at home even after I get that new Mac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarbob View Post
Please don't tell me to buy it now! I don't have a Mac that will support it, or Leopard. So OmniFocus was just one more reason for getting that new Mac this Christmas season. Well, not anymore, *sigh*.
The prerelease price is valid through January 7. If the Christmas season is your constraint, I don't see what the problem is. Leopard is irrelevant; I'm running OF very nicely on Tiger and I have no intention of upgrading to Leopard before late January, if then.

If you think OmniFocus just isn't worth the price, that's your decision. But I have to say that it's become an essential app for me, and most of my other essential apps--DEVONthink Professional, Bookends, Journler, and Microsoft Office--cost the same or more. Having witnessed the development of OF for the last six months, and the care that has gone into tweaking UI elements to make them both simple and useful, I think the 1.0 product is worth the asking price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
Leopard is irrelevant; I'm running OF very nicely on Tiger and I have no intention of upgrading to Leopard before late January, if then.
Leopard is not irrelevant. I recall they said OmniFocus 2.0 will require Leopard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarbob View Post
Leopard is not irrelevant. I recall they said OmniFocus 2.0 will require Leopard.
I fail to see how the 2.0 release of an application that will be released in version 1.0 on January 8 is affected by whether you have decided to upgrade to Leopard. By the same logic, you shouldn't purchase any hardware or software because in a few years it will be obsolete. You had initially said that the Christmas season was your constraint. If OmniFocus 1.0 does what you want on a Mac that you buy now, nothing will keep you from running it until your Mac dies the death of all computers. Until summer 2006, when I finally bought an Intel Mac and had to give up Classic, I was still running the version of FileMaker Pro that I licensed in summer 1997.

Did you actually mention OmniFocus 2.0?

It has taken a YEAR to get into BETA for OF 1.0, OmniFocus 2.0 could be 1-2 years away.

I will say this, OmniGroup does not update their apps that often (full releases) and when they do they are ALWAYS worth it.

BZ

Just wanted to be sure that the list price will, in fact, for certain, be $79.95 and that there won't be some amazing discounted price at MacWorld, starting Jan 14, 08. Just asking, just to be sure. Thanks! I'll buy the pre-release at 39.95 if you're sure about this, thanks.

Yes, the list price will be $79.95.

While we're likely to offer some sort of special at our Macworld booth, that price won't be as low as the pre-order price available today.

This is great and I want to buy, but I want to do it in tax year 2008. Will the pre-sale prices be good until Jan 7th?