The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can I duplicate an action? [Req. Exists: Email support to vote for] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is is possible to duplicate and Action or Project in OF for iPhone?

It would speed things up as you could duplicate an action with the same project and context that you wanted and just change the title.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is (at the moment - hopefully it is something that will make its way into a later version).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyroad View Post
Is is possible to duplicate and Action or Project in OF for iPhone?

It would speed things up as you could duplicate an action with the same project and context that you wanted and just change the title.
Lack of item duplication is a pretty gross omission. It needs to make it into the next version.

I see that actions can now be duplicated, which is good (I guess), but is there a way to duplicate a project? In the desktop version, which I have, it's a simple right-click option.

My gf is interested in OF for her iPhone, but needs a way to clone a project and all of its actions, either by duplicating an existing project, or using some sort of template system. She wants to use OF to track treatment plans for patients in a medical setting, and they're frequently almost identical and quite detailed. Re-entering all of the tasks from scratch every time would be quite a burden.

I don't think there's a good way to duplicate projects in OF for the iPhone, unfortunately. Will she be syncing with a Mac? If so, one possible workaround would be to have a folder full of generic treatment plan projects she could rename/move to put into use, replenishing it on the desktop program as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Will she be syncing with a Mac?
No, that's the problem. She has to use a windows machine at work, so she can't buy the desktop client. She needs to be able to duplicate a project just on the iPhone. :/

For $40 you could buy the upgrade to your license to make it a family pack, and she could sync to your machine (set up a different user account for her if you haven't already).

I just checked the development database - looks like the work to extend cut/copy/paste to projects, contexts, and folders wasn't complete when iPhone OS 3 shipped.

I went ahead and added a vote to this item in the dev database. Other folks that run across this thread should email the support ninjas to do the same. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I went ahead and added a vote to this item in the dev database. Other folks that run across this thread should email the support ninjas to do the same. :-)
Brian, we need to set you up with something so you can put up links that don't just supply the email address, but fill in the message with the appropriate bug number reference and the user just needs to type "me too" and hit the send button :) In all seriousness, have you given any thought to some sort of widget that you could insert in forum posts like this that would allow registered users to add a vote without having to compose an email and spend a few minutes of some support ninja's time figuring out which feature request the user's paraphrase matches best and add the vote? The thought does cross my mind that maybe you don't want to make voting too easy, but wouldn't it be a win to minimize the support ninja impact? Of course, I'm assuming that other people are more willing to send in their "me too" votes and that there are a significant number, I'm usually too lazy!

I have considered that; while it does mean that ninjas spend some time mapping requests to bugs, there are several of them and only one of me. A good chunk of the time, I can remember that something exists without needing to look it up. Sadly, my memory isn't good enough to memorize all the bug numbers. My personality is such that if I started including the bug number some of the time, I'd want to do so all of the time. And that's a whole lot more work. :-)