The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniWeb's tab drawer doesn't remember the preferred side? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlwin View Post
This is my number one, the drawer is too hazardous
The drawer is too hazardous? Please explain...

I mean its behavior, the system make it goes left or right depending the space left (the preference to stick it to a specified side never really works)

What version are you running? I just spent a few minutes jamming windows against the edges of my screens and opening tabs, and was never able to get it to misbehave. If there wasn't room for the drawer, the window got shoved over enough to make room. I'm running 5.10.1, rev 118169. If you've got a reproducible case, I'm sure the support ninjas would be interested, use Help->Send Feedback to send them the details.

In any case, it sounds like you meant "haphazard" not "hazardous"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
What version are you running? I just spent a few minutes jamming windows against the edges of my screens and opening tabs, and was never able to get it to misbehave. If there wasn't room for the drawer, the window got shoved over enough to make room. I'm running 5.10.1, rev 118169. If you've got a reproducible case, I'm sure the support ninjas would be interested, use Help->Send Feedback to send them the details.

In any case, it sounds like you meant "haphazard" not "hazardous"...
I think he means that whenever OW is quit then re-opened, the drawer automatically defaults to open on the right-hand side again, regardless of which side you have specified in the preferences. I believe I've heard that this is a global OSX option and is not definable at the app level between launches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculwell View Post
I think he means that whenever OW is quit then re-opened, the drawer automatically defaults to open on the right-hand side again, regardless of which side you have specified in the preferences. I believe I've heard that this is a global OSX option and is not definable at the app level between launches.
It must be not as simple as that; I've got my drawer set to open on the left side, and when I quit OW and reopen it, I get a couple of dozen windows, all with drawers on the left...

Quote:
It must be not as simple as that; I've got my drawer set to open on the left side, and when I quit OW and reopen it, I get a couple of dozen windows, all with drawers on the left...
If you keep the drawer open between launches then yes, it will remain on the left side (or whichever side it was on when OW closed). However, if it has closed automatically (because all but one tab remains), it will default to the right side when OW is reopened again.

Quote:
If you keep the drawer open between launches then yes, it will remain on the left side (or whichever side it was on when OW closed). However, if it has closed automatically (because all but one tab remains), it will default to the right side when OW is reopened again.
Okay, I just went to another Mac, running 10.5.8, no saved workspace or anything like that. Opened up OmniWeb. Single window appears, I press the cmd-T key combo, a drawer opens on the left, just as it says in the preferences. I set the preference to say open the drawer on the right, close the newly created tab, the drawer closes. I quit OmniWeb and restart it. Again, a single window opens. I press the cmd-T key combo, the drawer opens on the right, just like it says in the preferences. I think the support ninjas will agree when I say that I frequently manage to get the software to misbehave, but I'm not seeing it here...is this something you can reproduce on demand, or just remember encountering with older versions of OmniWeb?

Quote:
Okay, I just went to another Mac, running 10.5.8, no saved workspace or anything like that. Opened up OmniWeb. Single window appears, I press the cmd-T key combo, a drawer opens on the left, just as it says in the preferences. I set the preference to say open the drawer on the right, close the newly created tab, the drawer closes. I quit OmniWeb and restart it. Again, a single window opens. I press the cmd-T key combo, the drawer opens on the right, just like it says in the preferences. I think the support ninjas will agree when I say that I frequently manage to get the software to misbehave, but I'm not seeing it here...is this something you can reproduce on demand, or just remember encountering with older versions of OmniWeb?
Try setting it to open on the left and not the right...open-right is default behavior. I just reproduced it using your exact instructions above, but set the preferences to have the drawer open on the left by default (instead of right default as you have explained above). I then closed down OmniWeb and reopened it with no tabs open; the drawer has now re-defaulted to open on the right-hand side again.

Quote:
Try setting it to open on the left and not the right...open-right is default behavior. I just reproduced it using your exact instructions above, but set the preferences to have the drawer open on the left by default (instead of right default as you have explained above). I then closed down OmniWeb and reopened it with no tabs open; the drawer has now re-defaulted to open on the right-hand side again.
Read my message again -- I started out with it set to open on the left. I just now went to a third computer and repeated the experiment. The tab drawer opens on whichever side the preferences request. I normally run with it set on open-left. Maybe the issue you are seeing is specific to your installation?

Quote:
I set the preference to say open the drawer on the right, close the newly created tab, the drawer closes.
All I am saying is that I can reproduce the original complaint (it has been a big one for me, too). When I set my preferences to say open the drawer on the LEFT, close the newly created tab, and reopen OW, the tab drawer will open on the RIGHT every single time, without fail. Maybe it is just my installation, but I have heard this complaint many times through this forum. I was just adding my name to the list of reproducers.