The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Still some way to go... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am a new user to Omniplan, and I have been trialling it for managing a large work project.

My complaints are really that it does not fit in with the real world. It works great for a linear flow of tasks where things are performed sequentially and the completion times are dependent on the tasks. This is rarely the case.

In real life:
1) There is a given deadline, and we have to fit in the tasks into the given time. The depth of work depends on the time available.

2) A task is often started, and then put on hold to wait for a client review or while another task is completed. You can't do this in Omniplan.

3) The 'Level' control just doesn't work as expected, moving the start time of tasks that are already begun and partially completed, and often putting too many tasks on one resource.

There are some other minor complaints such as not being able to alter the time of tasks when in the resource view, and not being able to apply a style to a group of tasks.

I like Omni's products, but I am seeing a lot of improvements that are needed for Omniplan before it is truly useful.

1) You can sort of accomplish this by creating a milestone for your deadline with a locked end date and making all the other tasks or task groups pre-requisites for that milestone.

2) Yup. That's a feature we'd like to add, maybe as soon as 2.0.

3) Yup. That's kind of the same feature as (2), actually, from a certain point of view. Again, maybe soon.

Good to hear there are some more designs in the pipeline. Looking forward to version 2!