The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ability to sort tasks alphabetically please??? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I would, in some folders, like to be able to sort tasks alphabetically. In this way, I can quickly find a task where the name is the critical piece of information I am looking for, and the order of the task is not critical at all. Currently, there is no option to do this that I can see.
An example is movies I want to see for context "leisure". The movies are in no particular viewing order, but when I want to hire a DVD & look at what movies are on my list, an alphabetical list would be ideal. Similarly, when I'm buying CDs at the store. Etc, etc.
Dear Omni, is this possible as an option for sorting tasks???
PLEASE???
I love this app & am thrilled with it's usefulness & reliability.
Cheers from Brisbane, Australia.

Are you saying you want this to happen automatically, or just that you want a command to do it? In the 1.5 release, see the Edit->Sort menu for lots of sorting options of the latter variety, including by name, start or due date, etc. You can sort actions in a project or projects in the sidebar.

I would like to see an option to *always* keep it sorted alphabetically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I would like to see an option to *always* keep it sorted alphabetically.
You know the drill, use Help->Send Feedback to have your request officially noted...

Did you know that you can type a keyword into the search box and pull up those items that match?

Dear whpalmer4, I am sorting my projects alphabetically no problem, but despite what you say, there is no ability that I can see to sort tasks within a project alphabetically. They must be manually dragged to an alphabetical position. If I select my folder with all my "movies to see", whether set up as parallel or sequential, and go to edit > sort, all the options are grayed out & are unable to be applied. I just can't see that there is an ability to sort tasks alphabetically. I'm not that bright: please let me know what I'm missing! Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmessina View Post
Dear whpalmer4, I am sorting my projects alphabetically no problem, but despite what you say, there is no ability that I can see to sort tasks within a project alphabetically. They must be manually dragged to an alphabetical position. If I select my folder with all my "movies to see", whether set up as parallel or sequential, and go to edit > sort, all the options are grayed out & are unable to be applied. I just can't see that there is an ability to sort tasks alphabetically. I'm not that bright: please let me know what I'm missing! Cheers.
Tasks or projects? If you are in your folder, then you are trying to sort projects, not tasks/actions.

But also, to get actions within projects to sort, you have to select (highlight) the items that you want to sort. If no actions are selected, the option to sort will remain grayed out.