The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Voice Annotation Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I see that the iPhone AP has an audio record feature. I haven't tried it, yet. But I assume that it is voice annotation.

I don't see that there is a voice annotation feature included in the desktop version of OmniFocus -- unless I am missing something.

This would be a very helpful feature to include. Sometimes I'd rather just holler something into the microphone and leave it in the in-box until I can 'textify it' later.

I guess I can just haul out the iPhone and do the same thing. But why not have it on the desktop mac, as well?

OmniOutliner has had this capability for years. It works quite well. Seems like it'd be a nice fit for OmniFocus too.

-Dennis

Recording an addition to a note is, perhaps, the sole feature I miss from kgtd. Please do add this feature.

I agree. This works great in Omni Outliner!

Be careful trusting this too much. I recorded 2 sessions (both important to me) and once halting the record they magically disappeared!
The first time I had assumed my error, now I know it was not.
It looks like there is some limitation in terms of the duration it will run with. So sadly all was lost (duration > 30 minutes).
I have not seen any mention with respect to a limitation anywhere (there is plenty of spare capacity on my iphone).

Logged with support.

I remember researching this bug...
<heads off to bug database to look it up>

Okay, if you saw the same thing I did, it happens when an action has an audio attachment but no title has been entered. If that sounds like what you saw, tell the ninjas to look at bug #51398 when they contact you. Thanks, and I'm very trouble for the inconvenience this caused.

The issue stems from the duration it takes to save the audio at cessation of the recording. I name my items pre-record. When the recording is halted, the save routine starts but because the recording is a long one the iphone saves its screen before the app has completed whatever processes it runs during the saving routine which I would have expected to continue running as a background process.
When the app is freshly accessed there is no trace of the original recording and it is lost seemly forever.

All support have responded with so far is to say there are no restrictions on recording duration, well I have to disagree because it fails when running on the device it was designed for.

Copied here my email to support explaining the solution to failed recording issues (long duration).

This issue is now clear in that Omnifocus for the iphone will not survive the iphone 'autlock' feature.
The ONLY way to make reliable recordings of significant duration is to disable autolock , first.

Interestingly, I do own apps purchased via the apple app store which have a user flaggable option to disable autolock.
(Check out the cs2 app (a bedside clock that has a 'night mode' option - which disables autolock as I understand it)
So this is permitted by apple.
Perhaps you might consider a similar 'feature' in your software.

If not then please make it very clear to your user-base that unless autolock is disabled then the application will not record reliably as it MUST
1) complete the recording
2) complete saving(and compressing?) the completed audio, before any form of exit.
Otherwise customers will like I have, suffer the loss of very valuable data (in my case this was needed for litigation proceedings against a bad debt).
I now cannot prove what the ex-client said.

Also has your team examined the data sent you via the link you provided? I have had no response to that yet.