The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Perspectives Questions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Thanks for those suggestions! The change to the "Remaining" status filter did indeed bring 3 more categories into play:

Due within the next month
Due within the next 3 months
No due date

So, the view bar now shows: Remaining, Due, Due, Remaining, Any, Any. I don't understand why there is a "No due date" list included in the perspective, but I like the presence of the 1 and 3 month lists. I'm going to make a request for a little more flexibility in defining "Due soon" - which I suspect is the best way to facilitate the kind of due items perspective I'd like to see.

Thanks again! Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithFK View Post
I don't understand why there is a "No due date" list included in the perspective, but I like the presence of the 1 and 3 month lists.
Where else would you put the items that don't have a due date? You've instructed it to group all of the remaining actions by their due date, not just the actions with due dates.

You're right - I wasn't thinking of it that way at first, I was thinking that from a users perspective I think of choosing "Due ..." to see only things that have been labeled as due. I really like the new "Due and Flagged" choice, but it seems to make more sense to label the last displayed category as "Flagged" rather than "No due date". I realize that some things like that may be a little more cumbersome to code than someone like me is aware of, though. Thanks so much for all of your feedback on this - it was very helpful.

Well, again, you are asking it to group by Due date, and that is what it is doing. As it happens in this particular case, the items in the no due date group all share the characteristic that they have been flagged, but if you had set the action selector to something else, that wouldn't necessarily be true. I would argue that to only mention the flag status for those without a due date is a bit misleading, because it suggests that the items in the other groups aren't flagged.

I guess that make sense to me because I've chosen to implement flags as an "on deck" kind of tag - I don't have any item that has both a due date and a flag.

I realize what you are saying about the way the system is functioning. My point is that I went to create a "Due items" perspective thinking that I wanted to see the items that have a due date assigned, not the ones that don't. I just hadn't done a very good job of recognizing how the software was thinking about the use of the filters to create a particular perspective. I'm getting a little better all the time, though!

Hi All - I have another perspectives question. In the perspective editing window, you can choose between project and context mode. I figured that meant I could determine the layout for each (including adjusting column widths in the main window) and when I saved the perspective all of that information would be saved. That is, I could recall the perspective and switch between viewing it in project or context mode and all of the formatting that I did would be represented. That is not what happens. Am I misunderstanding the way those things should work? Thanks!

Under 1.7 each perspective represents the settings for just one mode. The View Mode control tells OF which mode. You can also specify the perspective to be paired with the current one for viewing the other mode using the last option under "Restore" in the Perspectives window.

For example, I have a Default Planning Mode perspective that stores my most used project mode settings. I also have an Available Actions by Context perspective that stores my most used context mode settings. In the Preferences Window for Default Planning Mode, I set the perspective to be used for context mode to Available Actions by Context. Now if I open my Default Planning Mode perspective and use Cmd-2 to switch to context mode, it will use my Available Actions by Context settings.

Said another way, you need to save context mode settings to a context mode perspective and project mode settings to a project mode perspective. Once you've done that you can set up either sort of perspective to bring one of the other sort along for the ride.

Curt

Thanks so much - that was perfect! It's embarrassing how little I've come to know about using perspectives well, but I'm definitely ready to fix that. Thanks again for the help.

I got a little prematurely excited on that one. In switching between perspectives, I keep losing the context definition.

I have a perspective called "Remaining" that uses projects mode. I then defined a perspective called "RC" using context mode. In the definition dialog window for "Remaining", I check the "Settings from a Context mode perspective" box and select RC from the drop-down list. I close the perspectives window, select a different perspective from the toolbar, select "Remaining" and then select context mode from the toolbar - and it works as I expected. But, after a bunch more switching between perspectives and modes, the choice of "RC" disappears from the list - although the checkbox is still selected. I will keep testing this to see if I can better understand when and why it happens.

Also, I am unable to focus on a context - should I be able to do that? I was going to use that in order to view things that I'm waiting on.

The first behavior (RC disappearing) sounds like a bug. Use Help → Send Feedback to report it. It's especially helpful to the devs if you can come up with steps that always cause the problem to happen.

Regarding focusing on contexts, you just have to select the context in the context mode sidebar and actions for the unselected contexts will be hidden. Then you can create a perspective, checking the Restore Selection box in the Perspective Window.

Curt