The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do I use "Waiting For" or "@waiting"? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprugman View Post
If you create some top-level super-contexts that isn't as likely to be a problem.
This would make it easier, but at least these are all workarounds. This is OK for now, but why not take it as an enhancement request?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abruenin View Post
This would make it easier, but at least these are all workarounds. This is OK for now, but why not take it as an enhancement request?
But the "block next actions" feature seems specifically designed to handle this. What else would the enhancement entail?

The @waiting concept in GTD-speak is very handy. And I'm pretty sure that I'm good with just one context per project in OmniFocus, but here's my dilemma.

Let's say I make a request to someone to do something. The task might say: "ask accountant to prepare tax estimates for 2007." The context here might be "@accountant."

After I have made the request I'm in waiting mode. So I need a new context. It can either be a generic "@waiting." Or I make an "@waiting/accountant" context.

There will be some people where I have many open projects and pending requests (I could see this happening at work with people who I delegate projects to or at home with my spouse).

I'm faced with either wading through a number of "@waiting" contexts OR looking at the @spouse context and trying to figure out which task is pending and which needs to be discussed OR growing a lot of contexts in my OF.

Has anyone thought about this? Any suggestions?

Love this software. The last time I was this excited about what software could do was the first time I created a MORE outline on my Mac SE. (I wish omnioutliner came in a MORE edition." I'd pay twice for it happily.)

what I do is make the task more specific and keep the context generic.

Using your example, after asking the accountant, I would create another task in the project that says something like "check on accountant's response" with an @waiting context.

I tried multiple sub-contexts but found them annoying

That's helpful. Thanks.

For me that @waiting context was deadly— I didn't check it enough and it got muddled with too many things.

Like fdlockhart, I would create a task such as "Follow Up with Accountant" and I would a start date when I wanted the info back, say 1 week. The task would reappear when I needed to follow-up with the accountant. I would place the Follow Up with NA as a call or an email because that is what I'll be doing. I can't work out of a waiting list.

Steve

I have a generic @waitingfor context, and a few @agenda contexts for wife, boss, colleague, etc.

In my @waitingfor context, I've gotten into the habit of starting the action text with "from x," as in "from accountant, tax estimates," "from accounts payable, reimbursement check," "from bill, can go to basketball game sat?" etc. That uniformity makes the big list easier to look through (or even sort by name).

I use a single Waiting For context. The key is to review it at least weekly. Items in here often look like:

WF return call from Bob re: training, called 12 Dec 2007
WF customer comment on 2-32445, sent analysis 20 Dec 2007
WF loan docs from Countrywide, due by 5 Jan 2008

I use a mixture of @waiting with specific information as from who, and also will change the start date on items I've done, but am waiting for and may need to repeat (I.e. call xxxx... at xxxx about xxxxxx). I give them however long 1-7days to respond and put that on the start date so it shows up on my to do list again on that date.

I have a generic @waiting for things I'm really just waiting for (packages I've ordered, etc) and then a @manage set of subcontexts (@manage/Joe, @manage/Jill etc) for things I am dealing with other people to complete.

In you example I would have it in @manage/Accountant and when I give the task to them I might slightly modify the task name or attached notes to make it more clear that I am waiting for them on it or they or waiting for me on something.

I also create new tasks but I don't take that to the extreme. Generally I will create new tasks if I can predict the entire proper sequence ahead of time:
o Send Accountant my numbers
o Get estimates from Accountant
o Review estimates
o Find money to pay taxes
o Go cry after paying taxes @Bar