The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What is the best way to view 'flagged'? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Using 'flagged' as 'Pay attention to this one!':

If I view 'flagged' with everything collapsed, I only see the parent projects, many with no flags since it's actions /within/ the project that are flagged.

So I have to randomly open the project folders to see what and why there's a flag there.

If I view 'flagged' with everything expanded, I get shedloads of unflagged material as well.

Is there any way to get a straightforward list of flagged items?

peter

The best way to do this, I believe, is to setup your "Flagged" perspective to use context view, where actions are show independently of their projects.

-Dennis

A related question, one time I had lots of 'ghost flags'. I think I had figured out that I had flagged a project and it sort of gave the actions flags, but not really.

Am I remembering this right? Had I figured it out right?

Malisa--yes, you are right. If you flag a project or an action group, its children inherit the flag, but the inherited flag is displayed in a faded, translucent style so that you can tell that the flag was applied to the project, not the action.

The idea is that by flagging a project, you want to flag its actions too so you can see them in context mode if you filter by flagged items.

OK - thanks Toadling, malisa, brainogilvie for the wee conversation - it's clearer now - especially the 'ghost flags' thingy.

So my question becomes - is there a way to view flagged items without ghosts?

IOW a straightforward list of flagged items?

peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemer View Post
OK - thanks Toadling, malisa, brainogilvie for the wee conversation - it's clearer now - especially the 'ghost flags' thingy.

So my question becomes - is there a way to view flagged items without ghosts?

IOW a straightforward list of flagged items?

peter
What are you trying to accomplish? Why wouldn't you want the "ghost" or inherited flags to show up? You must have flagged their project or action group, so why wouldn't you want to see the action?

You could view in project mode, flagged actions, ungrouped, and collapse everything. Then if you only expand the projects that aren't showing flags themselves, you'll see the projects that contain actions with their own individual flags.

Understand that items with "ghost flags" actually *are* flagged items (more accurately, they have implied flags). Since context view only shows actions, you won't see a flagged project. However, you will see all of its actions that have inherited the flagged state.

If you don't want items with inherited flags to appear in you context view perspective, you'll have to explicitly flag the items you want to see rather than flagging the entire project.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
What are you trying to accomplish? Why wouldn't you want the "ghost" or inherited flags to show up? You must have flagged their project or action group, so why wouldn't you want to see the action?
I want to revue a list of flagged items, that's all.
I flag items as deserving special attention.

I am having a similar problem with 'due' items, since I can't find a way to get a pure list with them either.

I'd love to have a list containing only contexts that contain due items.
If I want to see other actions in the project I can easily do so.
But it seems impossible to get a short list.

Another thing:
in my sidebar, my contexts have little red numbers to the right of some contexts. This sort of matches the number of due items in that context, but in a haphazard way. In some context lists, I have undated items - which is not helpful, since as I haven't put a due date to them, they shoud not appear on a due list.

Any comments?

Now I have quite a large and growing database, I'm finding that some of the filtering isn't working as well as I'd hoped to narrow my searches.

peter

Last edited by peterlemer; 2008-10-22 at 12:02 PM..

Peter,

If you're using the 1.5 version of OmniFocus, you might try using the new default toolbar. There are buttons for Flagged and Due, to help you accomplish exactly what you're describing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas View Post
Peter,

If you're using the 1.5 version of OmniFocus, you might try using the new default toolbar. There are buttons for Flagged and Due, to help you accomplish exactly what you're describing.
ah - I've only just recently discovered 1.0.3 and thought that 1.5 was primarily aimed at synching with iPhone - will check it out, thx

peter