The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Ad blocking no questions asked Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I used the 5.5 betas for about the length of a trial period and ended up coming back to safari. I miss site preferences, its speed advatage, the lightweight look, tab thumbnails (Stand does nothing but annoy me...) everything. except ad blocking. I know everyone is like "it works fine, you just need..." and on the list are a perfect blocklist, because if one thing isn't a regex OW can understand the whole thing goes down the tubes. Also there is custom CSS and other things I have heard. Why can't this just be simpler, like everything else in this app seems to be. Why can't I just put the filterset.g text file in line by line (As I spent time doing) and expect it to work? I keep my ow5 prefs file, and I will be trying out new OW releases until omniweb's ad blocking, like everything else on my mac Just WorksTM. Once it does, I will be delighted to switch back.

I just check Matching known ad sizes, From third-party sites and From blocked URLs. Then I adjust the site prefs or hit command+shift+i as needed. Sometimes I right-click and hit Filter image.

I might mess with the blacklist, manually, once a month.

A little late, I know—just came back from a vacation. :-)

How is that filterset.g file formatted? With the usual glob patterns, i.e. "*" stands for "zero or more 'anychars'", "?" stands for "exactly one 'anychar'"?

If the file only contains URLs, line by line, you just have to replace "*" by ".*", "?" by ".", and "." by "\.".

As I don't have to work for another week, I would write a simple perl script that does the changes if anyone is interested. You could then just copy&paste the lines of the resulting file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zottel
A little late, I know—just came back from a vacation. :-)

How is that filterset.g file formatted? With the usual glob patterns, i.e. "*" stands for "zero or more 'anychars'", "?" stands for "exactly one 'anychar'"?

If the file only contains URLs, line by line, you just have to replace "*" by ".*", "?" by ".", and "." by "\.".

As I don't have to work for another week, I would write a simple perl script that does the changes if anyone is interested. You could then just copy&paste the lines of the resulting file.
I would be very interested in that script!! That's the one thing about FF I love, Fiterset.G

Attach it here if possible and I will provide feedback.

Thanks!

Where can I get a filterset.g file to see how it is formatted?