The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Changing task into project Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is it somehow possible to change tasks into projects easily?
I also don't understand why it is not possible to let tasks become subtasks of others by drag&drop in context-mode (in project mode this is possible). And when I create subtasks in project mode, I'm not even able to see the subtask in context mode. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinho View Post
I also don't understand why it is not possible to let tasks become subtasks of others by drag&drop in context-mode (in project mode this is possible). And when I create subtasks in project mode, I'm not even able to see the subtask in context mode. Why?
For the first item I just drag the task into a folder. I have my OF set up so that every area of focus is a folder and projects are within that. Only 1 layer deep though. When I need to make a task a project I just drag it to the appropriate folder and it automatically becomes a project with no actions. Use the selection tool at the top of the left sidebar to see stalled projects and I can add the next actions easily.

Item 2 doesn't make sense to me. I'm not even sure what you are asking for. TO me context mode is only for doing and project mode is where all management takes place.

For item 3 once you make a task a subtask you will only see it in context mode if your view is set to see remaining tasks if the subproject is set as sequential or available tasks if the subproject is set as parallel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinho View Post
If you outdent something enough times that it leaves its container (Inbox, project, or single-action list), it becomes a project. You can also just drag it out of the container to the top level of the hierarchy, or into a folder. The reverse is also true; dragging a project into another project or action will turn the dragged item into an action or action group.
Quote:
Context mode is a flattened view, sorted on the characteristics of individual actions, not projects. A child task would not necessarily appear adjacent to the parent depending on the view settings. If you are looking at something in context mode, and realize that it needs to have some children, right-clicking on the action's row handle and selecting Focus in New Window will get you a new window showing the containing project. Make your changes there, close the window and you're back at the old view.

Child tasks may be parallel or sequential, just like projects. If sequential, and you are viewing only available actions, you'll only see the first one. The parent will be shown as available only when all of the children are completed. Also, depending on your view settings, and whether you specified a context for the child (or the parent had a context set), the "missing" action may be in a completely different section of the display, including the "No Context" bin, which may not be included in your view at all.

Thank you very much, both of you helped me!
Apparently I hadn't really understood how the usage of OmniFocus is intended.