The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

5.5.3 eating 100% of both CPUs Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
You know, I have to wonder,why should Omni even bother then with 5.5.x betas? They should go right to 5.6, put in the latest WebKit, and then have us shale out the bugs like with 5.5.

It just seems like 90% of the bugs people report are due to incompatible and older webkit.

Unless they're just biding their time until Leopard for 5.6.
I'm trying to recall the specifics... basically the added/return of features in 5.5 is not holding up the progression of 5.6.

iSean1 - if it happens to you, you will notice right away. Switching tabs is slow, typing is slow and often stalls, the system feels sluggish, etc. If it isn't happening to you, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
It is impossible to track down for me as it doesn't always happen, but it often starts when I load up one particular Workspace (though not necessarily the first time I do so!).
Sure—if it's a bug in the garbage collection, it is very improbable to happen always at the same spot. You might know this, Jonathan, but just for all the readers: Garbage Collection means that the engine of a language starts looking for variables (and maybe other stuff) that aren't used anymore to free the memory they allocate. I don't know when this happens for the JS engine OW uses—after some defined time, or only if the memory used by JS exceeds some certain amount. Probably the latter, as I haven't experienced this bug myself, and I don't use heavily scripting sites much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zottel
Sure—if it's a bug in the garbage collection, it is very improbable to happen always at the same spot. You might know this, Jonathan, but just for all the readers: Garbage Collection means that the engine of a language starts looking for variables (and maybe other stuff) that aren't used anymore to free the memory they allocate. I don't know when this happens for the JS engine OW uses—after some defined time, or only if the memory used by JS exceeds some certain amount. Probably the latter, as I haven't experienced this bug myself, and I don't use heavily scripting sites much.
And the issue occurs after the window is closed. IIRC, it's something like even if the cause is found, it can't be stopped because the window has already been closed.

After chatting with some JS gurus, this issue isn't all that uncommon. It just seems it's especially bad with OW.

I can't speak officially, but I think part of our delay in 5.6 may be waiting to find a relatively stable WebKit version to pin 5.6 to. Otherwise, we'll end up in the same kind of situation we've got now, but with some other WebKit bug.
(One thing you could do to help us get our releases out faster, is help us find and hire a senior cocoa developer and a sys admin. We're spread a little thin right now, and scrambling to keep up with all our apps.)

Plus I'm sure OW isn't as much of a money-generator for Omni at this point, at least not compared to the other apps.