The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus 1.6 for iPhone is now available! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I was referring to the fact that OmniFocus 1.6 for iPhone has (accidental, it seems) support for showing the parent action group or project in a context list, a feature that is planned (as I understand it) to appear in OmniFocus 1.8. Ken tells me he pulled it at the last minute from 1.6, but didn't get all of it, the perspectives part of it remains. My test case to reproduce your scenario looked a lot like what I'd been seeing all along, so it didn't strike me as being a bug. So, the behavior you saw (or what I thought you saw, at least) was due to a feature that is only in the iPhone version at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfneuralnet View Post
I am seeing the same flagged bug that Ken mentioned, as well as the lack of respect for the "Due Soon" items in any perspective. Since it seems like some people (glances at Whpalmer) are having trouble understanding what the problem is here, it is rather simple.
:)
Some people (glances at self) think it's an improvement! I dislike that I can't get a due view that goes into the future as far as the eye can see. You can always stop scrolling if the list goes longer than you want, but you can't look at something that isn't shown.

The perspectives support on the iPhone doesn't heed the expanded/unexpanded state of groups at all.
Quote:
The "Due Soon" mode on the iPhone on the main screen respects the phone's setting for "Due Soon" time being 24hrs. However, if one creates a perspective that includes "Due" this is not respected, and everything is shown. Let know if that is not clear and I will try again...
It's clear. We might have to agree to disagree on which behavior we feel is correct, Mac or iPhone. I think the Mac gets it wrong with 'Due or Flagged' because what it implements is 'Due Soon or Flagged' and that is neither what I want nor what the documentation describes (to be fair, 'Due or Flagged' doesn't appear to be documented at all, but the non-existent documentation should spell out the behavior).
Quote:
I realize the perspectives are experimental, but I was really hoping my "Today" view (which has Due or Flagged stuff on it) would work on the first shot since it isn't hierarchical. Hopefully next time!
So, in addition to thing due today, it shows stuff you should have gotten done already, and it shows stuff you've flagged as important but isn't due today, meaning if you do everything on your "Today" view you're ahead of the game. This is a problem? :)

Moderator's note: I inadvertently started a side discussion of the filter bar changes which are coming in OmniFocus 1.8, which I've now moved to its own thread.

OK -- so I got that the Due Soon behavior will be more flexible in 1.8 for desktop OF (other thread). Thanks for the clarification.

Ken -- back to this thread, which got off track -- is there a reason, or is it just a bug, that the perspectives on the iPhone version are not respecting the Due Soon iPhone setting (like 24hr), or am I not understanding correctly why all of the Due items are showing up instead of just the Due Soon items in these perspectives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfneuralnet View Post
Ken -- back to this thread, which got off track -- is there a reason, or is it just a bug, that the perspectives on the iPhone version are not respecting the Due Soon iPhone setting (like 24hr), or am I not understanding correctly why all of the Due items are showing up instead of just the Due Soon items in these perspectives?
That sounds like a bug, but based on what you've described so far I'm not able to reproduce it: I just checked my Due perspective and experimented with changing my "due soon" definition in Settings, and it obeys the setting for me. (I set it to 24 hours, and my perspective only showed me due items through today; I then changed it to 1 week, and it showed me all my due items for the next week.)

P.S. — Of course, one difference is that I'm using OmniFocus 1.8 development builds on the Mac side. I wouldn't expect that to matter, but maybe there's something in the 1.7 compatibility code that isn't working quite right?

Last edited by Ken Case; 2010-01-12 at 09:01 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
That sounds like a bug, but based on what you've described so far I'm not able to reproduce it: I just checked my Due perspective and experimented with changing my "due soon" definition in Settings, and it obeys the setting for me. (I set it to 24 hours, and my perspective only showed me due items through today; I then changed it to 1 week, and it showed me all my due items for the next week.)

P.S. — Of course, one difference is that I'm using OmniFocus 1.8 development builds on the Mac side. I wouldn't expect that to matter, but maybe there's something in the 1.7 compatibility code that isn't working quite right?
Perhaps it is a difference in how the platforms are behaving, or in 1.7.6 and 1.8. On my side, if I create any perspective with "Due or Flagged" as the setting on the 1.7.6 side, I get only that stuff which is due today on the Mac

When the perspective is synced, I get everything and the kitchen sink, sorted by context on the iPhone. Perhaps the due or flagged is not implemented properly on the iPhone side (or just differently?)

Lets try this a different way. If I want to create a new perspective that will only show me the items that are due in the next 24hrs or have been flagged, what should I do (i.e. a combination of the main "Due Soon" and "Flagged" from the initial screen of the iPhone.) I call this perspective "Today" whether that is good GTD practice or not :)

Thanks for your help with this. I know a lot of users (and Things refugees looking for syncing) will appreciate having this option when it is worked out.

Last edited by wolfneuralnet; 2010-01-12 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: (added iphone lines)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post

I definitely see this as well. Any perspectives that use "Due Soon" or "Due Soon or Flagged" on OF 1.7.5 for Mac show ALL items on the iPhone. What you effectively get is "All items, grouped by due date" as the view on the phone.

I can send a support request if you truly can't reproduce this, but it's trivial for me to reproduce. I've avoided using perspectives on the iPhone for this reason.

Frankly, my preference (feature request!) is to be able to replace the default "perspectives" on the phone (Due Soon, Overdue, and Flagged) with my perspective which is "Due Soon or Flagged" on the Mac. As right now, I have to view 3 separate areas to view all tasks, and the "Due Soon or Flagged" setting on OF for Mac shows it all in one view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
I definitely see this as well. Any perspectives that use "Due Soon" or "Due Soon or Flagged" on OF 1.7.5 for Mac show ALL items on the iPhone. What you effectively get is "All items, grouped by due date" as the view on the phone.
I can confirm. For me, a perspective on the iPhone with "Due or Flagged" or "Due Soon" shows every task, regardless of whether or not it has a due date at all. Bummer!! I was about to drop Things and come back to Omnifocus if this worked.

C

Last edited by Cike; 2010-01-12 at 12:49 PM..

Hello Ken,

I don't understand how should work
exporting calendar: on date of event...
is it supposed to create an all-day event/warning?

thanks

Alessandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by brab View Post
Do we have real synchronization now (i.e. when both instances are modified, changes are merged)?

I've stopped using OF for the iPhone because I was getting synchronization errors very often. I would then have to choose between my phone or desktop database, both of them having changes, thus losing one set of them (without even having the opportunity to know what the changes were).
I know I'm late to this party, but I think there was a miscommunication in the original email exchange, and I wanted to try and clear it up.

Brab, you were encountering the bug that Ken mentioned in his post; the database on the device and the server end up out of sync and cannot be reconciled.

The Support Ninja that responded to your ticket thought you were encountering a different situation, though - a situation where the same item in the database has been edited on multiple devices. In that smaller, more limited case, whatever edit was made last 'wins' and the earlier one is discarded. (Doing a field-by-field merge of the two edits to the same item is the part that would prolong sync times.)

Basically the response you got didn't actually match the problem you were having; I'm really sorry about the confusion this caused. I'll mention it to the support ninja in question.

I'm really sorry for the confusion this caused. The bug that caused your original symptoms has been fixed. In current versions, those messages will only appear if folks manually compact their database while some devices aren't fully synced.

And yes, one sync can both push changes up to the server and pull them down at the same time.