The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prioritized feature list? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi!

I'd appreciate seeing a prioritized feature list for what's still to come in OmniFocus.

Not that you have to listen to us, but it'd be nice to be able to provide some guidance on where you spend your development time...

That's a good suggestion. Maybe an alpha roadmap, beta roadmap, 1.0 road map and ultimately a post-1.0 roadmap.

I'd love this too ... but I worry that the folks who only read half the info provided will begin yammering if a feature is 10 minutes late. Or if feature #2 gets implemented before feature #1. [I won't out the guilty, but I have seen some of this here.]

And again, it would take time away from the actual development.

So I'll happily keep downloading my updates, sending in my feedback forms, and waiting. Though, OmniFolk, if you do have a spare moment ...

--Liz

We're definitely listening to customer feedback. We have over 2000 customers providing us with feedback right now. Many bugs and features have been re-prioritized based on the feedback we have received. We can't provide you with a specific road-map right now, but keep sending us feedback!

Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooce
I'd appreciate seeing a prioritized feature list for what's still to come in OmniFocus.
Sorry I didn't comment on this sooner! Before we offered our first downloads, we posted our "Known issues" and "Coming soon" lists near the top of the download page.

What would be most useful to us is for all of you to tell us how those lists should change: what features are missing from our "Coming soon" list that you consider essential for 1.0? In your opinion, what bugs and other issues absolutely need to be addressed before we can ship 1.0, and which ones can wait until later?

Thanks!

Last edited by Ken Case; 2007-06-24 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: Better wording

I'd like to see task aliases (called 'cloned tasks' in another thread), i.e. tasks that are part of more than one project. They'd have to be 'hard links', in the sense that editing (and checking off, and even deleting) them edits (checks off, deletes) all their other instances.

Such task aliases would be useful simply because often enough, one particular condition needs to be met for several (unrelated) projects to proceed.

Last edited by HiramNetherlands; 2007-06-24 at 07:35 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiramNetherlands
I'd like to see task aliases (in another thread called 'cloned tasks'), i.e. tasks that are part of more than one project.
I certainly see how cloned actions would be useful, but they have all sorts of UI ramifications that would introduce a bunch of new work. (For example, an action can be "available" in one project and "not available" due to dependencies in another, so which one is right? In context view, do we list each clone of the action separately, or do we modify the project column to somehow handle multiple project assignments?)

So we won't be doing cloned actions for 1.0, though we'll certainly consider them for future releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case
What would be most useful to us is for all of you to tell us how those lists should change: what features are missing from our "Coming soon" list that you consider essential for 1.0? In your opinion, what bugs and other issues absolutely need to be addressed before we can ship 1.0, and which ones can wait until later?
I'd love to see a "Review Mode" built upon the review frequency and last review (I don't really understand how they are updated right now, and how to use them).

Similarly I'd love a view where I can see the oldest available tasks, to make me decide what I should do about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brab
I'd love to see a "Review Mode" built upon the review frequency and last review (I don't really understand how they are updated right now, and how to use them).
You can do this now in Project View by grouping your projects by their Next Review date. This will show you all the projects which you need to review in the next week, month, etc. Select a project, review it, then select "Mark Reviewed" from the Edit menu (Shift-Command-R) or toolbar (if you've added it to your toolbar), or use the Project inspector to enter a specific future review date (and update interval).

You can save this view as a Perspective to easily get back to it later.

Quote:
Similarly I'd love a view where I can see the oldest available tasks, to make me decide what I should do about them.
In Context view, try grouping your actions by their Added or Changed date. Again, you can save this view as a Perspective to get back to it easily later.

(We do plan to improve Perspectives between now and when we ship, letting you change their titles, switch to perspectives in existing windows rather than always opening new windows, delete individual perspectives rather than deleting all of them at once, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case
Sorry I didn't comment on this sooner! Before we offered our first downloads, we posted our "Known issues" and "Coming soon" lists near the top of the download page.

What would be most useful to us is for all of you to tell us how those lists should change...
Ken --

I'm not concerned with suggesting new features — I trust you folk already have a great 1.0 feature set mapped out for us.

What I'd like to see is regular updates as to what we'll be seeing in the next few days. This would probably be in the Message of the Day, as in "We're currently working on the iCal synch problems. When we're done with that, we'll work on resizing column widths, then adding to the Preferences."

Exact dates aren't necessary and probably shouldn't be around at all. But a road map (if you drive from San Diego to Seattle, you go through L.A., then San Francisco, then Portland, in that order) would be very, very nice.

And I'm curious: of the ninjas who respond on the forum, who does what?

--Liz