The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

current iCal sync process? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
if you put the OF calendars in a group manually, that'll work. Of course, new ones won't automatically go into the group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard
if you put the OF calendars in a group manually, that'll work. Of course, new ones won't automatically go into the group.

Was afraid to try putting them in a group, what with the iCal sync being brand new and all. Good to know it won't kill all my data.

Would still be nice to have new ones automatically placed there :)

With a standard iCal group, you could do away with the OF: prefix on all of the calendar names as they become redundant. It would also give you a clean way to create new contexts in iCal, just add a calendar to the OmniFocus group. No special naming convention needed.

A problem with this is that iCal groups can only be one level deep (no groups-in-groups), so if you put OF calendars in an OF group, that precludes other grouping that might be useful, e.g. like I have set up:

- Computer
- - OF: emails
- - OF: web
- - OF: offline
- Desk
- - OF: calls
- - OF: reading

etc.

There is nothing stopping the nesting from being handled by naming conventions by using an OmniFocus group. You just wouldn't need the conventions on the top level contexts.

Plain Name = Top Level Context

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotung
Would be nice if the iCal sync would put all the calendars into an OmniFocus calendar group.
I looked into this a bit when we were implementing iCal synchronization. Unfortunately, the only reference in the iCal Calendars schema that seems relevant is the CalendarOrder entity (which stores the order of the calendars) and it's intended to be read-only to anything other than iCal.

It seems to work fine if I rearrange/group the calendars in iCal; they still sync back to OF. I currently have, among others, a group:

Business
--Work
--OF:Work

The names are historical and a work-in-progress but the way they work is: I can show my shift schedule in the Work calendar and my work related ToDo's in the OF:Work calendar while I'm at work and turn both off together at other times (like when I switch to the "Home" calendar group). A ToDo to set up a meeting may become a meeting on the calendar and get marked as a completed Task in OF. Keeping the calendar and the ToDo list separate but having only the ToDo list integrate with my OF Tasks works for me.

Anyway, I'd rather not have OF manage my iCal organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotung
There is nothing stopping the nesting from being handled by naming conventions by using an OmniFocus group. You just wouldn't need the conventions on the top level contexts.

Plain Name = Top Level Context
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your suggestion, but this still doesn't solve the problem of iCal only allowing one level of nesting, ie, that you can't nest one calendar group in another. Once you make an OmniFocus group you're then committed to having a flat list of contexts in that group.

The other issue related to nesting that I'm having is that top level contexts won't display the contents of their children in iCal.

If I have the following context layout:

Errands
-Grocery Store
-Hardware Store

It will be put into iCal as OF: Errands, OF: Grocery Store, and OF: Hardware Store. If I then want to check what all my errands are from a palm I have to check both the Grocery Store and Hardware Store calendars, as well as any other Stores that I have under Errands.

This is a limitation in iCal, so I think the only way to get around it would be some way to customize the sync process. If there were a way to specify that all the tasks in child contexts of errands should get dumped into the Errands calendar during sync that would be a nice workaround.

I'm finding that I get duplicate entries in OF when I synch to iCal, then synch to my Palm Treo with Agendus Pro as my list manager. I use MarkSpace to manage the synch.

Agendus inserts a line of code in the notes attribute, to manage icons. But it also seems to strip out the Project data from OF...in any case, that data is missing on the synch back to the Mac.

Not sure what the fix for this would be, but it makes me even more eager for the arrival of the iPhone. I will mourn the loss of my bucket...

I've tried entering [ProjectName] in an ical task but the project didn't sync. Will this be possible in the future? If so people would be able to assign project and context straight from their PALM.