The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Put these in and I will buy it! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This looks like a browser with potential.

I would buy Omniweb if it included the following:
  • Replace the ugly and usability ridden tab drawer with a sidebar ala iTunes and similar applications.
  • Option to place the tabs across the top or bottom
  • Options to view the bookmarks or history in the sidebar

Last edited by fourier; 2006-09-08 at 09:11 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourier
[*]Replace the […] usability ridden tab drawer
Yeah, that usability really needs to go away ;)

You know--we had bookmarks and history in a "sidebar" (drawer) back in OmniWeb 4. When Safari introduced the bookmarks taking over the window we got a lot of requests to do it that way.

Funny how that works...

I seem to be the only one, but I really, really like the tab drawer the way it is and prefer it much over a sidebar. And I´ve paid already ;-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphaag
I seem to be the only one, but I really, really like the tab drawer the way it is and prefer it much over a sidebar. And I´ve paid already ;-).
I prefer the drawer as well.

the drawer, that is. I dislike the all-in-one interface especially for apps where the sidebar contents may not need to be visible almost all the time (like Mail). In fact, I often wish the drawer was detachable and independently resizable, but that has disadvantages discussed at length previously.

However, working on a small laptop, I can see the value in being able to view some wide pages in windows with the tab drawer on the bottom (or top where it would be closer to the drawer open/close button) as a customizable save-with-workspace option.

Another thing I dislike are threatening consumers, but maybe that's just me.

I agree with pjb about the threatening customers.

Oh and I like the drawer, it works just fine.

As long as the side bar:
- hides and shows like the drawer currently does
- doesn't change the page content at all when it does
- can be set to display on the left or right side
- is resizable like the drawer is

I'd be fine with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josue Salazar
I agree with pjb about the threatening customers.

Oh and I like the drawer, it works just fine.
I am baffled by threatening consumers. For one thing, OG makes it living off many applications. OW is probably the smallest piece of the pie. So, I'm not sure if losing OW would threaten OG. At least, I have spent a hell of a lot more money on other OG software than I have on OW.

As for sidebar vs. drawer, I am just no so sure anymore. Any feature implemented well would be nice, really. This was never the make or break feature for me in OW. I like many other things about OW. The customizable search bar is actually the make or break feature. I use a lot of search engines, and having ANY engine I want readily accessible is simply the ultimate in convenience.

I'm sure I will start liking some other feature soon...

Ok. The previous 'sustainable' comment was probably not appropriate.

However:
- OS X drawers are used infrequently (if at all), in leading OS X applications (Apple or third party).
- Drawers decrease the visual appeal of the application (well documented)

Recent article on OS X drawers:

http://www.mcelhearn.com/article.php...41116135640496

Of course, aesthetics have not part to play in an OS X application:

http://phillryu.com/2006/07/03/the-t...ful-os-x-apps/

Also, the development effort to provide flexibilty in how multiple browser pages are managed (tabs as: text. thumbnail; location: sidebar, top, bottom) is minimal.

Last edited by fourier; 2006-09-08 at 10:01 PM..