The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Are there file size limits? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Are there size limits to OO files? As my files get larger the program crashes regularly. Does OO have problems with large files?

Dr. Siddons

Which iPad, and how big is the file? iPad 2 can definitely handle larger documents than iPad 1, and the new iPad should do better yet. You'll have more memory to work with if you don't have other apps running; it may even be worth rebooting the iPad. Even though it only displays a subset of the lines at any one time, it appears that it needs to load the entire document into memory.

If you sync your iPad with iTunes, have a look in your ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/<iPad name>/ folder and see if there are some files named LowMemory-<date>.log which give a snapshot of what was filling up memory when the iPad had to kill something because it ran out of memory. If there are any files named OmniOutliner-<date>.log, you can email them to omnioutliner-ipad@omnigroup.com for examination.

I'm using an iPad 1 with 32 gigs of memory.

I was making a file with pictures and some text. It crashed regularly.

I have a couple of files that are just cells which are long texts. It crashes regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker00 View Post
I'm using an iPad 1 with 32 gigs of memory.
That's the iPad with the least amount of RAM. (The 32 gb of storage is for storing apps and their data, but isn't used for program memory) If any of the models is going to give you trouble, that's likely to be the one.

Quote:
I was making a file with pictures and some text. It crashed regularly.

I have a couple of files that are just cells which are long texts. It crashes regularly.
We still don't know if these crashes you are experiencing are out of memory crashes or some program flaw (though I'd be inclined to agree that out of memory crashes qualify as such in some cases!) or if you could possibly avoid the out of memory situation.

You'll probably have the best result contacting Omni support and having them investigate this with you.