The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Start Date vs Due Date Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have made the full conversion over to OmniFocus on my Mac, iPad and iPhone! I love it so far and have plenty of projects entered already.

My biggest question is this: How do you efficiently use Start Date and Due Date?

I understand that if you place an arbitrary Due date, you will get overwhelmed with reminders on the dock icon, etc. So how to you efficiently use Start Date? Might it not have the same arbitrary value of Due Date but without the reminder?

Any examples of how the forum uses a combination of the two would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chadman

Welcome to the forums, Chadman!

The Start date is really the "OmniFocus, don't bother me about this until" date. If something has a start date of tomorrow, OmniFocus assumes that means you can't do anything about it until then and will keep it off your Available/Next Action lists until then.

(Items with start dates in the future can be seen with the "Remaining" filter active, for those times when you do want to see everything you haven't checked off yet.)

A good rule of thumb is to assign as few due dates as you can get by with, but to use start dates more freely to keep things you don't want to be distracted by off of your radar screen. If you need to talk to Bob about something, but he's on vacation until next week, assign a start date and focus on the things you can get done today.

Hope that helps!

Fantastic! The key I think I was missing is how the "available" and "remaining" filters affect the Start Date field, now it makes total sense!!!

Thank you so much!

Chadman

So my question then becomes, how do we then get an audible reminder to occur without a due date and time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
So my question then becomes, how do we then get an audible reminder to occur without a due date and time?
Well, you can set up growl notifications for start dates, if you have Growl installed, from what I recall.