The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Best practice to manages general "lists"? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm with Toadling, Brian, et al in the "buying a bag of carrots is an actionable item, why not use OmniFocus?" camp. I haven't seen anything mentioned in the discussions of purpose-built grocery shopping tools that would make me think it would be worth buying another app (and having my tasks split betwixt the two). YMMV.

I've got a Grocery Shopping SAL that has my staple items set up as repeating actions with the repeat interval set to reflect the usual consumption rate. I have a hierarchical Errands context with a number of contexts for various stores where I might prefer to obtain certain items, and a catch-all Errands:Grocery store context where I would put the bulk of the items. If I decide in my menu planning for the week that I'm going to make something using a non-staple ingredient, or unusual quantity, that gets tossed in the appropriate context (and lives in the Cooking project). In any case, when I hit the store, OF has my shopping list ready and waiting for me.

I totally agree with toadling that OF is a brilliant list manager among other things, so groceries & other stuff to get fit's perfectly in it. I basically have a context with some sub-contexts for this, and this works amazing! I can get stuff for multiple projects in one run, and also stock up my food supply. This i got pretty quick when starting with Omni; i had some pretty hard time doing this with another piece of gtd soft.. the name i won't mention;-)

But i do think however that non (directly) actionable stuff can/could live quit well in OF too; it's not that i want to throw everything in it (i use devonthink for that), but reminder type lists, or quick brainstorm lists that can't directly be checked of, but could trigger new stuff, could enhance OF I think. That this goes against the pure action bases system i get, but on the other hand i think even DA advocates these type of lists(?) If i would have next to omnifocus and devonthink other trusted systems with yet other inboxes that would make to whole system go messy for me. I have looked into some applications that somewhat fall between devonthink and omnifocus (and have iphone sync), but i never use them because it simply get's too complex.
Anyway, maybe i'm just trying to abuse the system;-)

I throw non-actionable items into one of two contexts: "Notes" or "Ideas."