The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

what to do with blackberry? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
What if instead of targeting every possible platform, we built a version of OmniFocus for the web which could sync with the Mac and iPhone versions?
This would be the ideal solution for many who, like me, are stuck on Windows at work. I have OmniFocus on my iMac at home and on my iPhone, but that leaves work out in the cold -- which is naturally the place where it would be of the most use to me.

Let me ask, would it be designed as a stand-alone implementation of OmniFocus that would sync its data with the local software if the user wanted to? I'm thinking of the GMail model -- it has a fully functional web interface that can be used full-tim without any desktop software at all, but it also works well with desktop mail clients if the user prefers. That would seem to accommodate the widest range of situations -- all non-OS X desktop and mobile platforms would be covered, and data synchronization would be ubiquitous, but the UI experience on OS X and iPhone would not be compromised.

I imagine that a hosted software solution would be something of a departure from the OmniGroup's standard software, but I would be willing to pay a monthly or yearly subscription for this sort of product. A sleek <overused cliche>Web 2.0</overused cliche> product would fit the bill nicely. I'm sure the OmniGroup could do it properly.

Having seriously been through the mill with futzing around with a zillion mac + web + blackberry solutions - and currently worn out with the whole shebang, (conclusion = Mac and Blackberry = sync misery) I have settled on a master plan of; Omnifocus + iPhone 3.0 + Mac....(will get the new iPhone this summer...)

I have now bought and have started to use OF desktop.

I have stopped using the Mac Mail Leopard ToDo's I used to love... ..and have deleted all those ToDo's on my Blackberry

While I wait for the next gen iPhone I am running a Blackberry curve 8900 (which I have become increasingly disenchanted with...)

So just for task "capture" or 'mind dumping' I want to try to try the email-to-in box method....

I may try to work up the courage to try the iCal ToDo 'task' and OF Context sync.. But I dread that ***ing 'hall of mirrors' duplicate entry nightmare you can get yourself into with syncing applications that dont 100% like to play ball with each other.. So unless I get some positive feedback on Omnifocus @context + iCal + Blackberry I think I may just give that whole can of worms a miss..I don't think I can bear any more data loss / task mayhem in my life..

I think a web version of OF would be nice for users with PC's.. (but don't web apps always struggle to 'hook' fully into 3rd party desktop apps?)

Speaking of hooks I am trying to rally support to get the OF iPhone to take advantage of one of iPhone OS 3.0's potential new hooks here

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=11986

Send in your request too!

P.S The only thing that could lead me off this planned GTD gadget path would be the Palm Pre.. But I doubt an app will emerge for the Pre that can impress as much as OF with its smart phone & Mac integration. An 'all in one' system is vital to me...

P.P.S I am guessing that being Mac only is a business strategy for the Omni group..

Last edited by Casper TFG; 2009-04-26 at 04:19 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
What if instead of targeting every possible platform, we built a version of OmniFocus for the web which could sync with the Mac and iPhone versions?
Yes, please! I've been longing for this ever since starting to use OmniFocus. My situation is the same as other posters: although I'm on Mac at home, I have a Windows PC at work so have to rely on using OmniFocus for iPhone (but great as it is, it can't beat having it on the big screen with a big keyboard.

Also, if you had a feature that sent email reminders out when tasks become active, and are about to be due I would be in heaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstone View Post
Also, if you had a feature that sent email reminders out when tasks become active, and are about to be due I would be in heaven
OmniFocus can already do this via Growl. If you have the Growl preference pane installed, check under the OmniFocus configuration options. I think it also supports SMS alerts.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
OmniFocus can already do this via Growl. If you have the Growl preference pane installed, check under the OmniFocus configuration options. I think it also supports SMS alerts.

-Dennis
Thanks for that suggestion, Dennis. However, my OmniFocus app is on my laptop which is regularly turned off and put away when I'm not at home. The benefit that I thought I would get from an OmniFocus web app sending reminders is that as long as I had my iPhone with me I'd get prompted to do stuff. I suppose this may become irrelevant in iPhone 3.0 if OmniGroup can utilise the background notifications though - although I think that is more to do with pushing notifications from a server/web service anyway.

Thanks again.
Paul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstone View Post
The benefit that I thought I would get from an OmniFocus web app sending reminders is that as long as I had my iPhone with me I'd get prompted to do stuff.
Ah, I see, that makes sense. I wouldn't mind having the same capability. ;-)

-Dennis

PS - Thinking about this a bit more: I wonder if such a feature would require an additional process on the server to monitor the status of start/due dates. That might make third-party web hosting more difficult. On the other hand, maybe the web app could use the system's scheduling facility (like cron or whatever's available). Or maybe Omni would host the web app themselves, in which case anything is possible.

Last edited by Toadling; 2009-04-28 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: Thinking out load...

I'd love that!

Personally, I don't think I would have a use for web based omnifocus as I don't like to have my data on others servers. As long as you keep the service optional and don't penalize those that don't use the web service with limited functionality, I say go for it!

I suspect that there would be the option to run it from your own server too, as was the case for the original incarnation of the Web interface.

A web version would probably be sufficient. I'd love to be able to access OF from my Linux workstation and check flagged tasks on my Android while I'm out and about. Read only access would be a good start!