The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waiting For Perspective Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm trying to create a "Waiting For" perspective where I only want to see the Next Action tasks (Availability Filter = Next Action). However, that always comes up blank, even though I have some projects where the first task is in the waiting state.

Example of project:
(1) Wait for response from John (waiting context)
(2) Email Jack (email context)
(3) Wait for response from Jack (waiting context)

If I set the Availability Filter to Remaining, I'll see (1) and (3). If I set the filter to Next Action, it will display nothing, even though I would expect it to show (1).
Is this because a Waiting context is not a Next Action by definition?

1.8 sneaky peek (v77.62 r137400)

Last edited by belgian85; 2010-08-18 at 08:13 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgian85 View Post
Is this because a Waiting context is not a Next Action by definition?
That depends on whether or not you have set the context to be on hold. If you have (or are using the default Waiting context provided by Omni), then the only time an action with that context will be shown is if you are viewing Remaining or All actions (assuming it is not marked complete). An action assigned to an on hold context will never be shown as a next action, because a next action is by definition one that is available, and an action assigned to an on hold context is never available. There is however nothing that mandates that you have to have your Waiting context be on hold, and many people (including some at Omni) choose to have it as an active context, possibly using start dates to mark individual actions as temporarily inactive.

If you want a perspective that just shows items in your Waiting context, I would suggest a context mode view, with only the Waiting context selected in the sidebar, and Remaining actions shown, saved as a perspective with the Selection box ticked in the Restore section of the Show Perspectives window. That will give you all the items in that context no matter your choices for whether or not your Waiting context(s) are on hold or active.

Thanks. This helps.

I can add that my solution is to keep "Waiting for" on hold since I have a "Waiting for"- perspective that is very useful and I check that regularly. I use due dates to give me a warning as well.
Additionally, I have sub contexts under "Waiting for" with the names of the people I most interact/collaborate with.
I don't want to have this in "Next Action" since that could easily lead me to untimely respond to/nag about something other people are supposed to do within a given time frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arild View Post
I can add that my solution is to keep "Waiting for" on hold since I have a "Waiting for"- perspective that is very useful and I check that regularly. I use due dates to give me a warning as well.
Additionally, I have sub contexts under "Waiting for" with the names of the people I most interact/collaborate with.
I don't want to have this in "Next Action" since that could easily lead me to untimely respond to/nag about something other people are supposed to do within a given time frame.
That problem could be solved with start dates for people who want to use an active waiting on context but don't want to see things until people have a chance to respond. If someone has a week to complete something, set a start date for six days days out on a task like "Follow-up on ..."

I might file a ticket for a feature request to have, in the inspector, context switching associated with start dates. So that a task in an on-hold or waiting on context moves to an active context (say email) when the start date hits.