The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can't rename built-in perspectives in 1.8 Sneaky Peeks [Expected Behavior] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm having trouble renaming the default perspectives in 1.8 sneeky peek. Each time I rename a perspective, close OF down (and let it sync) and reopen the name gets reverted into the default one again.

Is this a glitch in the pre-prelease? I've never had this problem before.

I've tried to remove the server DB and re-create it but it still doesn't work. It seems like the local cache is overriding my changes?

That looks like a bug - thanks! Writing this up for the team.

Actually, the new behavior is intentional; here is the relevant release note from May 20:
The name of a built-in perspective is now based on your current localization rather than being a persistent, customizable setting. (You can always copy these built-in perspectives to your own perspectives and give your other copies different names.) This means that people who first created their database in one language but then switched to another won't wonder why half of their toolbar is still in the original language.
We do want built-in perspectives to always use their original name (presented in the user's current language). But you can always make your own copies of those perspectives and change the names of your copies.

(I would call it a bug that built-in perspectives temporarily accept a different name before reverting back to their original name.)

Last edited by Ken Case; 2010-05-24 at 03:05 PM..

hmm I could be seeing things but it appears that the iphone copy of the perspective doesn't default back to the original name ?
Noticed my mac perspective had changed it's name back , but the iphone one still has the name I'd given it .

Since I don't use most of the default perspectives "as-is" I'm not really fond of the change, since this means that I'll end up with most of the unused built-in perspectives cluttering up my perspectives list.

Would it not be possible to start with the default names appropriately localized but not override them if the user has chosen to rename them? Likewise, a "reset built-in perspectives" option somewhere in the settings could be useful to not only revert to the default names but also the initial perspective settings. I'd also expect that users who may switch to a different language should realize that any perspectives they've manually renamed would retain those own names in the same way as their own additional custom perspectives, in much the same way as any of their other data within OF will not be magically translated.

Admittedly, it's mostly a cosmetic issue, I suppose, but I'd become quite fond of the ability to rename and redefine the built-in perspectives to something more useful rather than having to clutter things up with extra perspectives. At this point, I can still customize the settings, but I'm now forced to use the default names, which end up making little sense for some of them.

In fact, if we're going to be forced to use the default names then you might as well go all the way and lock down the built-in perspectives completely. It doesn't make a lot of sense to be able to fully customize the actual perspective settings since there would be a limited number of options that would still match the name (for example, I could change the "Projects" perspective to show a Context display, but that makes little sense if I'm still forced to call it "Projects").

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
Likewise, a "reset built-in perspectives" option somewhere in the settings could be useful to not only revert to the default names but also the initial perspective settings.
That's available now, to reset the initial perspective settings. Open the Perspective window and click on the gear icon at the bottom of the window. I would prefer that the names be editable also, with the reset function also renaming them to the default.

Quote:
In fact, if we're going to be forced to use the default names then you might as well go all the way and lock down the built-in perspectives completely. It doesn't make a lot of sense to be able to fully customize the actual perspective settings since there would be a limited number of options that would still match the name (for example, I could change the "Projects" perspective to show a Context display, but that makes little sense if I'm still forced to call it "Projects").
That's about the only change that would not make sense-the other options to restore focus, open in a new window, etc. still have value and should be user-defined. There's also value in changing a context perspective (such as 'Completed') to a project perspective should the user not want to see that perspective on the iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
That's available now, to reset the initial perspective settings. Open the Perspective window and click on the gear icon at the bottom of the window.
Thanks. I had thought I'd seen that option before, but I couldn't find it when I went looking for it, so I figured I'd imagined it.

Regardless, it would seem that the availability of this option would obviate the need to enforce the default perspective names.

Quote:
That's about the only change that would not make sense-the other options to restore focus, open in a new window, etc. still have value and should be user-defined. There's also value in changing a context perspective (such as 'Completed') to a project perspective should the user not want to see that perspective on the iPhone.
Granted that was an extreme (and unlikely) example, but in more practical terms, I've redefined my "Due" perspective to show tasks that are on my "hotlist" (due or flagged, basically). It's a minor nit, but in that sense the "Due" name isn't really appropriate since it includes tasks that aren't specifically "due" in the traditional sense of the word. Similarly, I long ago re-defined the "Flagged" perspective into something completely different, as I have no need for a perspective that simply shows all flagged tasks. When the name reverted back to "Flagged" it actually threw me for a loop as it took me a while to remember that the new perspective had originally been the default "Flagged" one.

In fact, to me that's a far more confusing result than simply dealing with changing languages, as it results in "missing" perspectives for those who had heavily customized the default ones.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely don't want to see the default perspectives lose their customizability -- I was merely playing devil's advocate since it seems strange to allow for full customization of the built-in perspectives without the ability to actually rename them to something more appropriate. Further, I can see this being a problem for anybody upgrading from 1.7->1.8 who has customized the default perspectives in any significant way, since the reverted default names may have no correlation whatsoever to how the perspectives have been reconfigured.