The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help! OmniFocus won't open...etc. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Was using OmniFocus as normal last night, then this morning when I tried to open it I got a "this application is unlicensed or too many users are using" message. I searched the threads and deleted the license, etc. as instructed but still got the message.

So I went and downloaded the most current build, but was unable to open OF. (Application says "opening OF document" but it hangs forever).

Tried downloading the previous day's build as instructed, but same problem. Hangs forever.

Help! What can I do?

Thank you,
Jennifer

I am having the same problem here. I couldn't use Omni Focus (OF) since the license expired on 01st September. I am definitely going to buy OF when it comes out and hence I am using OF as my primary GTD application. I kindly request the Omni Group to renew our expired licenses until OF comes out for sale.

Me three. License expired.

I deleted the expired license, downloaded the latest build and, deleted the old one. It works fine, now. The new license is good until 1st October.

Sorry for my previous post. I didn't know before that getting the latest build will fix the license issue.

Thank you OF

It looks like there's a little bug/feature in the built-in update feature. The feature is that it doesn't trample your existing license when you download an update. But the bug is that it doesn't update the license either.

Re-copying the application from the disk image fixed it for me.

I ended up opening OmniFocus from a backup of my data. It asked me to update the application, and all worked fine after that. Weird.

I get the same "your alpha license has expired" but for the past couple of days nothing has fixed it. I tried everything I could find here and the only way I could get it running was to set the date back a week.

Until . . .

By dumb luck I noticed I noticed that if I ran the program from the install image instead of from my application folder it worked. So then I copied over OF in the Application folder (like I have done repeatedly over the past week trying every new update - to no avail) and it did not work again. So I renamed the program and copied a new version into the Application folder and it too did not work. So I copied a new version from the install image to my desktop and it did work. Hmm. So then I threw the non-working version in my trash, emptied it and then again copied a new version from the disk image in to my application folder and it worked, finally!

So hopefully this will stay running for a bit longer.

And hopefully this works for any of you having similar issues.

This really ought to be an FAQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnn View Post
This really ought to be an FAQ.
Why? Shouldn't Omni just fix the bug in the updater? (Which I'm sure they have since the thread is 6 weeks old.)

Curt