The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tracking an Email action? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all -

So... I LOVE the e-mail clipping function when I get an e-mail from someone that they ask me to do something. I hit my hot keys and create an action with the e-mail attached. Works like a charm.

However... I need some help with best practice for when I have an action that STARTS as an action to e-mail someone. For example, I may have the action "Email Bob to ask him about the due date for the report". When I create the action, it has a context of "Email". Here's where I need help. I send Bob the e-mail. I want to change the context to Waiting:Bob and I also want to track the e-mail. The e-mail goes to my sent box. Even if I go to my sent items and do a clipping, it wants to create it as a new action.

What's the best practice for dealing with this? Is there a way to link an e-mail to an existing action to be tracked?

-Tom

There are a variety of ways you could deal with this (which I'll leave to others to discuss), but to answer your simple question about linking an email to an existing action: yes, just drag the message from Apple Mail's list view and drop it in the note field of your desired OmniFocus action. A link to the original email will be created.

-Dennis

Thanks Toadling.

I have a script that will mark an action as complete and create a Waiting For action that you might also want to try. It doesn't link to the sent mail, but you could use Dennis's suggestion for that.

Curt