The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

today status - feature request Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
i don't see a today status feature in the ipad version.

please could you put this on the feature list?

"things" does it very elegantly, and i find it so useful that i use things just for today's items...

sure, omnifocus has various ways of approximating this, but not in a way which allows disparate items to be grouped together, with the sole thing they have in common being that i want to do them today.

Why do you need a Today feature when the Forecast feature let's you see due items for Today and the week @ a glance.

The Forecast feature is beautifully implemented.

I truly have no idea what you're writing about. The Forecast view has a dedicated Today view (plus 7 more days). It does exactly what you're asking for. As the previous poster stated, it really is beautifully implemented.

Elektroglide - does flagging the items you want to do today, then looking at the built-in flagged view work for your needs?

What elektroglide's talking about is the ability to mark an item to be done today, regardless of its actual availability or due date. Flagging can accomplish much the same thing.

I think a lot of people are hung up on the fact that "flagging" isn't "Today."

If you renamed flagged to "today" and changed the corresponding Perspective you'd have no issues. People are just used to certain naming and can't get past the naming. It works the same way regardless.

I feel like Things has sort of ruined some of the spontaneity that you get with real GTD. People feel like they need to plan their day out thanks to Things. When real GTD is based on available time and next actions. Thank them for corrupting a good thing.

I'd suggest anyone really wishing there was a Today view in OmniFocus would go take a look at the GTD book again and tell me where it states there needs to be a Today view. Is it a nice feature? Sure, but don't get hung up on names. Flag items, check your flagged view. Call it good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnLogikal View Post
I think a lot of people are hung up on the fact that "flagging" isn't "Today."

If you renamed flagged to "today" and changed the corresponding Perspective you'd have no issues. People are just used to certain naming and can't get past the naming. It works the same way regardless.

I feel like Things has sort of ruined some of the spontaneity that you get with real GTD. People feel like they need to plan their day out thanks to Things. When real GTD is based on available time and next actions. Thank them for corrupting a good thing.

I'd suggest anyone really wishing there was a Today view in OmniFocus would go take a look at the GTD book again and tell me where it states there needs to be a Today view. Is it a nice feature? Sure, but don't get hung up on names. Flag items, check your flagged view. Call it good.
For me, the issue is that I have lots of different same context tasks. I use flags to mean "I should get to this today, approximately." I use them sort of like load balancing. I will flag a "reasonable" number of errands or chores in the evening or morning for the next day.

I procrastinate and have ADD. Saying that I would spend a certain amount of time on maintenance and then looking at the right contexts might make sense. But, for me, saying "these are a reasonable number of things to get done" feels right.

Flagging is good, but IMHO it's too many taps; ideally, it should be one tap, as in Toodledo. It's one key combination in OF desktop.

I put in a request for drag and drop.

The way I figure, once they get drag and drop working for some of the filing it may not be so bad to have a bucket you can drag items into that can set various things up.

A flagged bucket. Drag items into that bucket and they are automatically set to flagged. As an example.

I dont see as many apps taking advantage of long pressing on the iPad or iPhone. Would be neat to see a long press bring up a menu that might include setting it's flagged state.